Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Introducing Thermal R&D 3-inch Exhaust system! (Sound Clips)

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST Agate black
A question for those much more knowledgeable than me. At what point if any in the performance mod process would there be a notable benefit from the 2.5 vs 3 inch system?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
A question for those much more knowledgeable than me. At what point if any in the performance mod process would there be a notable benefit from the 2.5 vs 3 inch system?
I was going to say "better exhaust scavenging which could help modded vehicles" but you asked for people more knowledgeable than you so you may disregard my post.;)

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's a reasonable questions, but bigger isn't always better. You might see a difference between a dual 3" and dual 2.5" at around 1,200 hp.

Think about this fact for a moment- there are T3 frame turbochargers with compressor outputs that are a single 2.5" outlet which flow 80+ lbs/minute mass airflow. That means somewhere around 800 hp on gasoline. T4 frames will move 120+ lbs/min (1200hp) with a single 3" compressor outlet. If you like the sound of the 3"- cool! If you think this is a performance benefit on anything other than a race vehicle, it's not.

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST Agate black
Thank you for answering the questin and providing supporting information.

Reactions
If you're still running the stock cats, I doubt it makes any difference, they're the big restriction.

Reactions
This exhaust sounds great! But 3" is def not necessary for stock turbos to max out. I have zero drone with SPD downpipes on my Borla S-Type with lethal mid-pipes and happy with the setup.

dbblsopen

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer
Hey All,

Excited to announce that Thermal R&D is bringing a 3-inch exhaust kit to market!

Huge shoutout to [mention]Ron miller [/mention][mention]Whoosh motorsport [/mention] for pairing me up with TR&D for the research and development, was a blast! Ron will have exclusivity for this kit at launch so be sure to check him out when the time is right (looking like approximately 2 months from now). No word on cost yet but this kit WILL include the mid pipes as opposed to how the 2.5-inch kit is offered.

Let me be clear, this thing is NASTY! I heard second hand that the owner of TR&D believes this system has less drone than the 2.5-inch system. I’m not an expert in drone mechanics but I hear absolutely ZERO (just one day with the kit so will update if I detect and where.) This kit is virtually silent at cruising speeds but sounds killer when you get on it. I was slightly worried it would be obnoxious or too deep but neither is the case. Link to startup and rev clip below. Will add some in-cabin and flyby examples later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the upgrade effect california smog test

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Honestly, that's the best sounding exhaust I've heard for these motors. I like it a lot, it has a good tone at lower rpms, but comes alive at higher revs.

Is the in cabin with the FENG turned off?
Yes FENG is disabled in the cabin clip.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
This is a dangerous thing to say, especially if it's secondhand.

Every review I've heard says the 2.5" has no drone and now people think it has drone.
Just to clarify. This comment was made firsthand to me by my handler at Thermal R&D. The comment was made to him by Chuck the owner of the company during their test drives of the completed system. So yeah second hand but reliable intel IMO

Reactions
Placed my order. I was prepared to go with the 2.5" system thinking this was going to be way more expensive, turns out it wasn't (compared to pre-order at least)

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The louder the exhaust the better! Won't hear the rear bolt if it snaps!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
"NEW !!! The Thermal R&D 3" downpipe back full exhaust system. Expect an aggressive exhaust note at idle and wide open throttle yet little to no interior drone when at cruise or highway driving. This 3" exhaust is suitable for stock ST's all the way to fully modified high power builds"

"Little"?

Reactions
"NEW !!! The Thermal R&D 3" downpipe back full exhaust system. Expect an aggressive exhaust note at idle and wide open throttle yet little to no interior drone when at cruise or highway driving. This 3" exhaust is suitable for stock ST's all the way to fully modified high power builds"

"Little"?
yes little as opposed to a lot of drone i.e. Magnaflow, MBRP, etc

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
yes little as opposed to a lot of drone i.e. Magnaflow, MBRP, etc
I get what you're saying, and while I'm not trying to be a nuisance ... for some people a little drone is too much drone.

To each their own I guess ...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I get what you're saying, and while I'm not trying to be a nuisance ... for some people a little drone is too much drone.

To each their own I guess ...
I have the Thermal 2.5. There is ZERO...again for the people in the back...ZERO drone. If this 3" kit is less than ZERO, well that's just awesome.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I have the Thermal 2.5. There is ZERO...again for the people in the back...ZERO drone...
Agreed.

Reactions
I've had my 2.5" TR&D on since Oct2021, zero drone. I've been running it with FenFab catted DPs the entire time.

Explorer ST Posts