Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Introducing Thermal R&D 3-inch Exhaust system! (Sound Clips)

Reactions
Hey All,

Excited to announce that Thermal R&D is bringing a 3-inch exhaust kit to market!

Huge shoutout to [mention]Ron miller [/mention][mention]Whoosh motorsport [/mention] for pairing me up with TR&D for the research and development, was a blast! Ron will have exclusivity for this kit at launch so be sure to check him out when the time is right (looking like approximately 2 months from now). No word on cost yet but this kit WILL include the mid pipes as opposed to how the 2.5-inch kit is offered.

Let me be clear, this thing is NASTY! I heard second hand that the owner of TR&D believes this system has less drone than the 2.5-inch system. I’m not an expert in drone mechanics but I hear absolutely ZERO (just one day with the kit so will update if I detect and where.) This kit is virtually silent at cruising speeds but sounds killer when you get on it. I was slightly worried it would be obnoxious or too deep but neither is the case. Link to startup and rev clip below. Will add some in-cabin and flyby examples later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Clarified original post to highlight [mention]Whoosh Motorsport [/mention]exclusivity at launch.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Darn and I just installed my 2.5 Thermal....

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Clarified original post to highlight [mention]Whoosh Motorsport [/mention]exclusivity at launch.

Lethal Performance will have it also. Nobody has an exclusive on this kit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Hey All,

Excited to announce that Thermal R&D is bringing a 3-inch exhaust kit to market!

Do you have down pipes installed as well?

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Couple more sound clips

Reactions
Honestly, that's the best sounding exhaust I've heard for these motors. I like it a lot, it has a good tone at lower rpms, but comes alive at higher revs.

Is the in cabin with the FENG turned off?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Well, I know what I’m ordering for my birthday when it comes out.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I heard second hand that the owner of TR&D believes this system has less drone than the 2.5-inch system. I’m not an expert in drone mechanics but I hear absolutely ZERO ...
Easily the best sounding ST exhaust I've heard to date.

Sad to hear the 2.5" has some drone, hope the 3" system remains free of it. Any drone whatsoever would be a 100% deal breaker for me.

Reactions
I heard second hand that the owner of TR&D believes this system has less drone than the 2.5-inch system.
This is a dangerous thing to say, especially if it's secondhand.

Every review I've heard says the 2.5" has no drone and now people think it has drone.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The 2.5" doesn't drone and I'm particular. Believe me when I say, I'd tell you if I heard a drone from mine. It simply wouldn't remain on the vehicle. I'd suggest, experiencing it 1st hand before you spread 2nd hand rumors.

Reactions
The 2.5" doesn't drone and I'm particular. Believe me when I say, I'd tell you if I heard a drone from mine. It simply wouldn't remain on the vehicle. I'd suggest, experiencing it 1st hand before you spread 2nd hand rumors.
Probably part of their pitch to sell the 3” setup, lol.

F=MA

Reactions
ZERO drone with the Thermal R&D 2.5 inch system (quiet drone free highway travel in 8th, 9th and 10th gear). No drone with the Borla S Type either. Loud drone (1600-2000 rpm) with the Magnaflow #19515. Had to drive in 8th gear on highway to keep the rpm up enough to stop the drone. I have had them all with the OEM downpipes. And the worst looking exhaust tips award goes to ... Thermal R&D 2.5 inch system. I replaced my R&D exhaust tips with Hot Rod Scott's Exhaust carbon fiber covered 4 inch quad tips. Look similar to the Borla S Type exhaust tips. I like the tips closer to the bumper opening versus sticking way out like an American Graffiti car ;)

Last edited:
Reactions
No drone with my 2.5 and still love it although the 3.0 sounds really cool!

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I just installed my Thermal kit from a MBRP setup and I love it. No drone, great sound, quality product!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If their Explorer ST exhausts don't have any drone, they should state that in the product description. Some of their other exhaust systems clearly point out "no drone" or "True Helmholtz Design" (noise cancelling). In their advertisement for the ST 2.5" exhaust there is no such description. On Borla's website page for the ST, they do state that.

Reactions
If their Explorer ST exhausts don't have any drone, they should state that in the product description. Some of their other exhaust systems clearly point out "no drone" or "True Helmholtz Design" (noise cancelling). In their advertisement for the ST 2.5" exhaust there is no such description. On Borla's website page for the ST, they do state that.
Lots of exhaust systems claim no drone but have drone as reported by reviewers. I haven't heard anyone say that about the 2.5" thermal setup, which is why it's the one I am planning on getting once my ST arrives.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Lots of exhaust systems claim no drone but have drone as reported by reviewers. I haven't heard anyone say that about the 2.5" thermal setup, which is why it's the one I am planning on getting once my ST arrives.
It does seem that people are reporting no drone with the Thermal system, so I don't get why they don't advertise it as such.
Borla is world famous for their no drone exhausts and they sell their products around that very fact.
That being a given, the Thermal's do sound better. Let us know how you like it after the install.

Explorer ST Posts