Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interior Rattles

G sims

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST Explorer
Ok, I really love the new ST. But, I’m amazed at how many damn rattles this thing has when at highway speeds. I have a 30+ year old fox body that has less rattles than this ST with 20,000 miles!

From what I’m reading, this is just part and parcel for these vehicles? Disappointing considering the price I just paid for it.

hbalek

Reactions
Ok, I really love the new ST. But, I’m amazed at how many damn rattles this thing has when at highway speeds. I have a 30+ year old fox body that has less rattles than this ST with 20,000 miles!

From what I’m reading, this is just part and parcel for these vehicles? Disappointing considering the price I just paid for it.
Yeah welcome to the club! I hate to say this but it only gets worse. I have 34K miles.

OP
G sims

G sims

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST Explorer
Thread Starter #3
Yeah welcome to the club! I hate to say this but it only gets worse. I have 34K miles.
Great..

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Hmm, I cannot think of any rattles I am hearing in my 2020 with 34k miles, if it's there it doesn't bother me I guess.

I recently thought I had a rattle in another vehicle of mine, only to find that it was something that I put in the door and forgot about :LOL:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hmm, I cannot think of any rattles I am hearing in my 2020 with 34k miles, if it's there it doesn't bother me I guess.

I recently thought I had a rattle in another vehicle of mine, only to find that it was something that I put in the door and forgot about :LOL:
That’s me nearly every day. Then I find it’s yet another toy rattling around somewhere that my kids left lol

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't find my ST "rattley" at all. But it's all subjective. I once owned an '87 Shelby Charger. Between the dash (so bad it was hard to focus on the instruments), to the mirror (which eventually fell off the windshield), to the shifter (whose high-pitched buzz would drive passengers out of the car), my ST is virtually silent!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
This hasn't been my experience at all and I'd view myself as someone with high expectations. It's too bad you are experiencing this.

hbalek

Reactions
This hasn't been my experience at all and I'd view myself as someone with high expectations. It's too bad you are experiencing this.
I drove a loaner Edge ST and Ecosport and both had fewer if any rattles.

F=MA

Reactions
Less rattles past 170 mph :p

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine is very quite. I haven't noticed any rattles. Only 13K miles so still low mileage.

OP
G sims

G sims

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST Explorer
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses. I adjusted the middle passenger seat and it’s not much quieter now.
I primarily drive a 2010 SRT Challenger and it doesn’t have a single squeak or rattle, so maybe I’m spoiled.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thanks for all of the responses. I adjusted the middle passenger seat and it’s not much quieter now.
I primarily drive a 2010 SRT Challenger and it doesn’t have a single squeak or rattle, so maybe I’m spoiled.
I don't think anyone on here is denying you have a squeak or rattle, or that it is acceptable/unacceptable, but the tolerance of squeaks and rattles is highly dependent on the user. Any idea where it is coming from or what is causing it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
This is the noisiest car I've ever been in. The panels on the door are barely attached to the door frame, especially the rear side doors, definitely not a solid feel, everything feels loose and therefore cheap. The seat is noisey, the dash cracks, the areas around the window trim and sunroof trim all rattle and crack on the highway. I think you're stuck with it. Newer cars are being made with cheaper materials, especially Ford products. From what I've heard this is par for the course with Ford vehicles. This is my first ever Ford, after a life of owning dodge/jeep vehicles, this feels significantly cheaper, if that tells you anything. Chevy has always been the way to go, they just don't offer any vehicles that suite my needs within my budget.