Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intercooler Install

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
In the description of the CVF Intercooler it says the install takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I was gonna do it myself but after watching a youtube video of an install, there is no way I want to attemp this. I'm affraid to let my mechanic even do it because of having to take the whole front end off. Looks like I need to find a good body shop that also does mechanical work to do this! I don't want the front end scratched up! If I still had my garage I would attempt it myself but I'm not going to try it in the dirt driveway! Have any of you done this task yourself?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I did. Not difficult but I also replaced my rear subframe myself. Need to be careful with the front clip and put it on something other than dirt. Other than that, take pics as you take it apart so you have a reference if you forget shit like me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s tedious but there’s nothing hard about it. Don’t get ham fisted and make sure all of the electrical connections are good when you put it back together.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I did mine by myself and used a large blanket to put the front clip on so that it didn't get damaged. It's just nuts and bolts and the directions seems to be pretty good.

Agree with @Cruising68 , take pictures and label and organize parts in the order you took them off so you can put it back on in the reverse order. I use ziplock bags to keep things together.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I'm bringing it to a body shop to have it done. I don't have the space or the patients to do this and I don't trust my mechanic with it. Body shop is used to pulling stuff apart and putting it back together.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm bringing it to a body shop to have it done. I don't have the space or the patients to do this and I don't trust my mechanic with it. Body shop is used to pulling stuff apart and putting it back together.
Same here I hit a 2x4 and messed up the fascia so body shop is gonna swap the IC when they fix the fascia. If not I’m way to impatient to pull
It off and not brake something

Gbaum68

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
In the description of the CVF Intercooler it says the install takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I was gonna do it myself but after watching a youtube video of an install, there is no way I want to attemp this. I'm affraid to let my mechanic even do it because of having to take the whole front end off. Looks like I need to find a good body shop that also does mechanical work to do this! I don't want the front end scratched up! If I still had my garage I would attempt it myself but I'm not going to try it in the dirt driveway! Have any of you done this task yourself?

Gbaum68

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My son and I switched out the intercooler in about 6-7 hours. Not hard just a lot of steps.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
My son and I switched out the intercooler in about 6-7 hours. Not hard just a lot of steps.
I just don't have the patients or the tools to do it without f-ing it up. Body shop will have it apart in like 30 minutes probably! I know they will be careful with it to because they are used to pulling things apart like this.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just don't have the patients or the tools to do it without f-ing it up. Body shop will have it apart in like 30 minutes probably! I know they will be careful with it to because they are used to pulling things apart like this.
To quote Clint Eastwood. "A Man's got to know his limitations."

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
yes I have done all the mods myself as it's therapy for me! IC, hot and cold side charge pipes, Intake, Sway bar, ect. Just have to take ur time and follow the instructions, vids, and pointers others have documented in the masses. Gonna tackle springs and bushings here real soon ;)
If it's not your cup of tea then there is always a shop willing to take your money to do it. Just doubt they like your rig as much as you do!!
If I could align it myself I would but that's were I will probably draw the line......lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'd probably have "spare parts" leftover when I finished

SippiST999

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I finished my install this evening. All in it took 6 hours with me working alone and also cleaning out the pine straw that was everywhere. It’s not a hard job just be careful with the front fascia

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
Just installed the CVF intercooler on my wife's Aviator. Following the FSM, it was actually a pretty easy job. Lost of steps but it all made sense and was easy to do. Only needed help moving the bumper away from the car. Results were killer. IATs were exactly ambient during a few 2-4 hits.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
I had my CVF Intercooler installed today, finally. Took the shop 3.7 hours so it cost me $370. Now I can finally send in for my tune! They did warn me that I may need to have the front sensors recalibrated. So far I don't have any warning lights on but he said it may take a while for it to go through a cycle. Anyone ever have an issue after doing this? I didn't find anything searching for it.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I had my CVF Intercooler installed today, finally. Took the shop 3.7 hours so it cost me $370. Now I can finally send in for my tune! They did warn me that I may need to have the front sensors recalibrated. So far I don't have any warning lights on but he said it may take a while for it to go through a cycle. Anyone ever have an issue after doing this? I didn't find anything searching for it.
No issues with the sensors on my ST at all after install. I did the install myself also.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
No calibration needed, you should be good to go!

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
I don’t know if it’s all in my head but it seems to feel like it’s got better throttle response!

Rockn3.0tt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Aviator
Still have intercooler?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Still have intercooler?
Yes. It’s been on for a couple weeks now. I was finally able to upload my tune. Made quite a difference! Everything is done now except for the ceramic coating and the sound system.