Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intelligent Access Door Handles

TomK

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my 2021 Ford Expl. ST automatic door locks (3 passenger doors), the cargo door alarm sensor, and auto start/stop all stopped working. Last night, when I opened the doors, the interior lights came on for about 30 seconds then all the lights shutoff and everything went dark. But the truck started up and ran fine.
Later, I researched & googled that problem, thinking it might be a loose connection somewhere. Found that Ford forums for Flex & F150 owners, were experiencing the same problems with their Intelligent auto door sensors. Their resolution was to replace the truck’s battery. I didn’t quite understand their reasoning at that time?
This morning I found this video from “Ford Boss Me”. After watching the entire video at 3:00 on his video, I understood why owners were replacing their batteries with new ones.
And this one:
So, I got a new Duralast Platinum AGM, BCI Group Size 48 760 CCA HG6-AGM battery from AutoZone w/3-year warranty. Wife told me to take the truck to the dealership for battery warranty? Nah!! Not worth the hassle.
After I changed out the truck’s battery “everything started working” again. YAY! What’s interesting, is that I didn’t have to reset the BMS either, because none of the vehicle settings were lost. Go figure? Anyway, I hope this info can help other Ford owners on this thread having the same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
Our 2020 Explorer ST doors will not unlock when grabbing the door handle (except for the driver's door).
We have owned several Ford vehicles that will unlock when touching any of the 4 doors (including our current 2020 Expedition)
The local dealer says they called Ford & Ford told them our Explorer is designed to work that way.
I am having trouble accepting that as normal on a vehicle the intelligent access system.
Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Hook your battery to a battery charger and try it. Or just get a new battery. If you are on the original battery its at the end of it's life anyway. A weak battery can cause some weird problems. When I bought my ST the driver and driver side rear doors would not unlock by touch. I found that the wire harness to the exterior door handle inside the drivers door was disconnected. Apparently the rear door is daisy chained to the front. I could actually hear the connector rattle inside the door sometimes. I was able to take the inner door panel off and reconnect the harness and both doors on that side have worked fine ever since.

Psyko_323

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my 2021 Ford Expl. ST automatic door locks (3 passenger doors), the cargo door alarm sensor, and auto start/stop all stopped working. Last night, when I opened the doors, the interior lights came on for about 30 seconds then all the lights shutoff and everything went dark. But the truck started up and ran fine.
Later, I researched & googled that problem, thinking it might be a loose connection somewhere. Found that Ford forums for Flex & F150 owners, were experiencing the same problems with their Intelligent auto door sensors. Their resolution was to replace the truck’s battery. I didn’t quite understand their reasoning at that time?
This morning I found this video from “Ford Boss Me”. After watching the entire video at 3:00 on his video, I understood why owners were replacing their batteries with new ones.
And this one:
So, I got a new Duralast Platinum AGM, BCI Group Size 48 760 CCA HG6-AGM battery from AutoZone w/3-year warranty. Wife told me to take the truck to the dealership for battery warranty? Nah!! Not worth the hassle.
After I changed out the truck’s battery “everything started working” again. YAY! What’s interesting, is that I didn’t have to reset the BMS either, because none of the vehicle settings were lost. Go figure? Anyway, I hope this info can help other Ford owners on this thread having the same problem.
I just purchased the same battery today from autozone. I started noticing something was up since yesterday morning.

I got to work early and decided to chill in the truck and listen to the radio. After 3 mins it cut off and a message popped up saying energy saving mode or something like that. i was like meh! and got out, locked it, and walked away.

Later that night my 6yo and i were going to do a late night bakery run. As i go to open the rear driver side door i noticed it wasn't unlocking even with the remote in my pocket. I thought that was weird. I touched my driver door handle to unlock all doors and continued on my way. It did the same thing to me in the bakery parking lot. As i go to started i noticed it kinda struggled a bit to turn over.

Now this morning at 4am as i'm getting dressed for work i try to remote start it from inside the house and i didn't hear it turn over but i did see lights through the window. I go to the front door and to try it again and i just heard a bunch of clicks and then all lights shut off. Stepped in the truck to try the push to start and same clicking noises. I ended up connecting 2 sets of jumper cables to be able to reach the civic. Turned over no problem. While at work i read this thread and purchased the same battery "Duralast Platinum AGM, BCI Group Size 48 760 CCA HG6-AGM" online. As i'm leaving work the same thing happens and i needed a jump start.

All good now with the new battery installed. Installation was a PIA.