Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Installation Question

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
I heard it mentioned that an exhaust shop is probably the best place to get down pipes installed. Would that also be the best time to get turbos installed or should I leave that to a performance shop?
I figured the turbos are in the same vicinity so it may save installation expenses. Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I wouldn’t let an exhaust shop do my turbos. A lot has to come off to get to the turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hi All,
I heard it mentioned that an exhaust shop is probably the best place to get down pipes installed. Would that also be the best time to get turbos installed or should I leave that to a performance shop?
I figured the turbos are in the same vicinity so it may save installation expenses. Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Turbos are up by the intake.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the hits! So, should I have the performance shop install the DPs as well or should they be a separate installation with an exhaust shop?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I wouldn't look to an exhaust shop for a down pipe or turbo installation.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the hits! So, should I have the performance shop install the DPs as well or should they be a separate installation with an exhaust shop?
If you’re doing both have the performance shop do all of it. The downpipes will have to come off for the chargers anyway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
If you’re doing both have the performance shop do all of it. The downpipes will have to come off for the chargers anyway.
Like Unbroken said - the downpipes are connected directly to the turbos.
If a performance shop is doing the turbos, they have to disconnect the DP's anyway, so have them do it.
(The only thing it adds for them is disconnecting the DPs from the exhaust and bolting the new one onto the exhaust)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Huh? Turbos are mounted down low off the bottom of the heads. The end of the intake tubes connect to them sure but so do the downpipes on the other side.
I guess that is what I was going off of.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Like Unbroken said - the downpipes are connected directly to the turbos.
If a performance shop is doing the turbos, they have to disconnect the DP's anyway, so have them do it.
(The only thing it adds for them is disconnecting the DPs from the exhaust and bolting the new one onto the exhaust)
That's what I thought! Being that the DPs are connected directly to the turbos, it makes sense to get it all done at one place. Thanks for confirming that the performance shop would be the better place!
I had done all this work myself on the Supra but space and positioning were a whole different story. If I had a lift, I would surely save some $$ on this one!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
That's what I thought! Being that the DPs are connected directly to the turbos, it makes sense to get it all done at one place. Thanks for confirming that the performance shop would be the better place!
I had done all this work myself on the Supra but space and positioning were a whole different story. If I had a lift, I would surely save some $$ on this one!
Quicklift 7000lb? I mean, if youre gonna buy one later anyway... (Costco for the best deal)
Although, TBH, when talking replacing turbos - I dont like risking shearing bolts in manifolds, and the shop may have some good knowledge about best practices for hanging/checking the turbo anyway, so you might not want to do this solo. :D

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Quicklift 7000lb? I mean, if youre gonna buy one later anyway... (Costco for the best deal)
Although, TBH, when talking replacing turbos - I dont like risking shearing bolts in manifolds, and the shop may have some good knowledge about best practices for hanging/checking the turbo anyway, so you might not want to do this solo. :D
Would love to make that visit to Costco but have no place to put it. But you're right! Quicklift down the road apiece! :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Would love to make that visit to Costco but have no place to put it. But you're right! Quicklift down the road apiece! :)
The good thing about the QL would be that you could hang it somewhere, so you don't need floor space.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
The good thing about the QL would be that you could hang it somewhere, so you don't need floor space.
No place to hang it or floor space. I'm renting. :)
Looking forward to own soon!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
OK, let's get inventive.
Use Ceiling bike hooks over your bed. If you couple them together, mount a poster of Sydney Sweeney (or other hot person) onto the QL's and have them hooked up, then you can press the button and bring them closer to you! :ROFLMAO:

(Sorry, it popped into my head and then I couldn't stop laughing and had to post it)

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
Well at least we know who the woman of your dreams is! (snicker)

Warpath

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
At my age, a picture of a 12 pack would be better....