Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

IAT’s - Stock vs Whipple Intercooler

Reactions
Hi Everyone,
Can ya’ll share your Intake Air Temperatures before and after the Whipple Intercooler install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
I would say the IAT's aren't as much of a concern since that is before the IC in the first place, the charge air temps is where you will see the difference.

Here is the stock IC:
ExpST_StockIC.jpg

Whipple:
ExpST_WhippleIC.jpg

The outside air temps were over 100 degrees on both of these logs at the time. There was less than a 5 degree rise in charge temp with the whipple (more pulls as you can see as well). The stock IC saw temps rise 53 degrees in a single pull.

Reactions
That's pretty significant IMO. Thank for posting that @boosted_st (y)
I agree that it is, the size of the stock IC was the same as the one on the Focus ST I had with the 2.0l 4 cylinder (I upgraded that one too). So no real surprise it was that bad on this.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I would say the IAT's aren't as much of a concern since that is before the IC in the first place, the charge air temps is where you will see the difference.

Here is the stock IC:
View attachment 13002

Whipple:
View attachment 13003

The outside air temps were over 100 degrees on both of these logs at the time. There was less than a 5 degree rise in charge temp with the whipple (more pulls as you can see as well). The stock IC saw temps rise 53 degrees in a single pull.
Thank you for the information! I’m going to see if I can find the charge air temp on the OBD Fusion App. If that doesn’t work, I’ll datalog and find it there.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Well, no luck getting the Charge Air Temp to work with the OBD Fusion App. The PID’s are there but apparently the Explorer is not providing the information.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Here is the stock IC:
View attachment 13002

Whipple:
View attachment 13003

Outside of a ZFG tune, the Whipple IC should be the one mod everyone makes before adding any other parts. Hands down.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Agree unless you never really beat on it. For short bursts you may not notice a difference but if you are on the boost heavy, temps will definitely shoot way up with the stock unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badst

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st iconic silver
I agree that a bigger more efficient intercooler is need ,but how does that effect your warranty. Will it break your warranty? Per Ford any modds will. Tunes can be taken out or concealed and not detected

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
For sure the warranty on the factory IC you are replacing will be void. But the rest of your car’s warranty should still be intact. Putting in an IC wouldn’t necessarily be related to, let’s say the brake components or your electrical components. So if you get the midpipe rattle, as most do. They most likely won’t come back and say “no, we can’t replace your midpipes because you swapped out your IC” Each dealership will be different though.

Badst

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st iconic silver
Thanks , I will check with my Ford dealer in a round about way.