Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I need a out of state vin number

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer st
Can someone help I’m doing a tuning order and I need a vin number for a Explorer that doesn’t belong in California

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Sooo... do you reside in California? If so, basically you're asking someone to help you to do something illegal.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sooo... do you reside in California? If so, basically you're asking someone to help you to do something illegal.
Relax…literally everyone in CA that’s tuned does it this way. It’s not like he’s running drugs…

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Can’t you just find a dealer and copy a VIN from the For Sale listings?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Relax…literally everyone in CA that’s tuned does it this way. It’s not like he’s running drugs…
And that makes it the right thing to do? Well, there you have it, resetting the compass now. I'm sure the OP will be looking for your PM anytime now.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
And that makes it the right thing to do? Well, there you have it, resetting the compass now. I'm sure the OP will be looking for your PM anytime now.
I’m sure we’re all happy you walk on water. FFS it’s a tune…let the guy enjoy life. If it were a post about CA being too hard on aftermarket stuff you’d be all over it. I’m sure you’ve also never ran a stop sign, red light, never speed and uphold 100% of every law you encounter…or are you just “resetting the compass” to fit your fake moral high ground on this one thing?

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I’m sure we’re all happy you walk on water. FFS it’s a tune…let the guy enjoy life. If it were a post about CA being too hard on aftermarket stuff you’d be all over it.
How is it that you know what someone would be all over? Perhaps you assume too much.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
...I’m sure you’ve also never ran a stop sign, red light, never speed and uphold 100% of every law you encounter…or are you just “resetting the compass” to fit your fake moral high ground on this one thing?
As you have added this portion to your post since my initial response, I'll simply say that asking someone to be complicit in one's acts is a different conversation than what you are now adding to this thread.

You're reaching here but I'm sure if you are to keep going we can end up talking about almost anything. Seems a little hypocritical that you are pointing a finger.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
As you have added this portion to your post since my initial response, I'll simply say that asking someone to be complicit in one's acts is a different conversation than what you are now adding to this thread.

You're reaching here but I'm sure if you are to keep going we can end up talking about almost anything. Seems a little hypocritical that you are pointing a finger.
Hypocritical how? I’m not chastising someone for stupid shit while ignoring the fact that I also break the occasional law…daily. Can you say the same?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Could someone tell me how the VIN affects a tune in Cali? Are there Cali specific VINs?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Isn't claiming that someone is standing on a Moral High Ground pointing a finger at someone you believe is pointing a finger hypocrisy? Again you (wrongly) assume too much.

I’m not chastising someone for stupid shit while ignoring the fact that I also break the occasional law…daily.
Sure seems like it.

Can you say the same?
I can as my intent wasn't to chasten, your intent on the other hand according to your responses here is to chasten.

I was just stating a fact. I simply believe that trying to skirt either state or EPA laws or regulations isn't something to be openly discussed on a forum. It's a bummer that California makes it tough to do things with cars, guns and so much more, it's just a fact of life for those who live there.

We've had several threads where people are trying to figure out how they could get Adam to get them a tune in California. This isn't something to be openly discussed and it certainly isn't in ZFG's best interests. Though not an identical situation this thread started out much the same.

My responses were pretty much the same in those posts. Two of those threads were removed. You must have missed those as I didn't see responses similar to these in those threads. I'm not asking you to see things as I do, frankly, I don't care how you see them.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Could someone tell me how the VIN affects a tune in Cali? Are there Cali specific VINs?
I don’t think a VIN is really needed…just an out of CA address. Unless something has changed? Wont the VIN show up anyway when the oem strategy is pulled whether it’s SCT or HP?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don’t think a VIN is really needed…just an out of CA address. Unless something has changed? Wont the VIN show up anyway when the oem strategy is pulled whether it’s SCT or HP?
My point exactly. I took the OP for a scammer since having a VIN from out of state doesn't seem at all to be "tune-related".

Reactions
Damn you TMac, ruining a perfectly good smack down by interjecting reason and getting the discussion back on target. Aren't all STs made in Chitown? If so how would FOMOCO know in advance where each one would be shipped. Think Unbroken is right with the out of CA address. Maybe when a vehicle is registered it picks up the initial state of residence. Back in the "old days" vehicles had to have a CA emissions package to be sold there. I think now every vehicle complies with CARB standards.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
With carvana and other online car resellers, they can get your vin just by inputting your plate, maybe whomever the op is buying the tune from is doing the reverse and inputting the vin to find out what state it is registered in, and refusing sale to any vehicle in CA. :unsure:

I still would not volunteer my vin to some newbie with only 5 posts, it may be a scam to get vin's to re-vin stolen vehicles.

Last edited:

Madisonville ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Can someone help I’m doing a tuning order and I need a vin number for a Explorer that doesn’t belong in California
Hi Eastbay St. Welcome to the forum. Tell us about your ST.

OP
E

Eastbay_st

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer st
Thread Starter #17
sorry fellas for making this into a fuss short story I order a tune from 5star I was smart enough to use my cousin address in Texas but my credit card billing address is gave it away to them lol so they want proof of registration to ensure it’s not a California car it’s just the tuner watching their own ass I understand lawsuits and all that but man give a guy brake

OP
E

Eastbay_st

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer st
Thread Starter #18
Might just go Whipple supercharger since it’s carb legal

OP
E

Eastbay_st

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer st
Thread Starter #19
5star pulled a fast one me and seen My billing address even tho I had it shipped out of state

OP
E

Eastbay_st

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer st
Thread Starter #20
With carvana and other online car resellers, they can get your vin just by inputting your plate, maybe whomever the op is buying the tune from is doing the reverse and inputting the vin to find out what state it is registered in, and refusing sale to any vehicle in CA. :unsure:

I still would not volunteer my vin to some newbie with only 5 posts, it may be a scam to get vin's to re-vin stolen vehicles.