Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

HPFP bracket

Reactions
How in the holy heck do you get that 10mm off the bracket above the hpfp?

I watched the only video I could find on it, but the video does not show exactly how to access it or what exact tool was used. I've got a pretty extensive set of wrenches, sockets and various extensions but I couldn't get any of them anywhere near that bolt. Doesn't help that as soon as you put your hand in you lose sight of the bolt.

It's not like I have gigantic hands either, just normal man sized hands but for the life of my I could not find the space to get my hand anywhere with a tool to get that bolt.

Not looking to upgrade the hpfp, just wanted to get access to the fuel line to put an E sensor on. Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction or tool selection.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I will curse that bolt until the day I die…and the moron that put it there. Bad part is…it’s been so long I don’t remember how I got it out. I do know I watched the video on XDI’s website and figured it out from there.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I will curse that bolt until the day I die…and the moron that put it there. Bad part is…it’s been so long I don’t remember how I got it out. I do know I watched the video on XDI’s website and figured it out from there.
All I know for sure is that if I ever get that bolt out, it's not going back on.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
I bought the fuel line kit and sensor from fenfab no cutting fuel line … just rerouting them. Other than the wiring with P3 the install was a breeze. Bought this bracket as well with a custom frame. I’m upgrading to full E85 in the new year.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/641877...e1z-3rDb&eaid=1020181491098&x_eaid=02acceadc7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I bought the fuel line kit and sensor from fenfab no cutting fuel line … just rerouting them. Other than the wiring with P3 the install was a breeze. Bought this bracket as well with a custom frame. I’m upgrading to full E85 in the new year.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/641877...e1z-3rDb&eaid=1020181491098&x_eaid=02acceadc7

I already have the sensor and fuel line to plug in from other end of reader to the hpfp.

My issue is getting to the fuel line to disconnect it. Did you connect yours at the side of the hpfp or is there another end of the fuel line that is easier to access. I just can't the bracket off that covers the hpfp to get access to the fuel line to disconnect it.

Cool bracket tho, looks like it would work with my existing sensor. I'll definitely pick one up if I can get mine hooked up. lol!

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
I already have the sensor and fuel line to plug in from other end of reader to the hpfp.

My issue is getting to the fuel line to disconnect it. Did you connect yours at the side of the hpfp or is there another end of the fuel line that is easier to access. I just can't the bracket off that covers the hpfp to get access to the fuel line to disconnect it.

Cool bracket tho, looks like it would work with my existing sensor. I'll definitely pick one up if I can get mine hooked up. lol!
I don’t have the HPFP just yet so i don’t have experience with that install .

You need a special tool for the fuel line. See below . It’s the blue one.

Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W0UZH...abc_HA1D1EZV0B5HJ0WSYV08?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I followed @twin001 install. It’s cake.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/how-to-ethanol-sensor-installation.2506/

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I don’t have the HPFP just yet so i don’t have experience with that install .

You need a special tool for the fuel line. See below . It’s the blue one.

Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W0UZH...abc_HA1D1EZV0B5HJ0WSYV08?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I followed @twin001 install. It’s cake.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/how-to-ethanol-sensor-installation.2506/

OMG that is exactly what I need. I did not even think to look on that side, I assumed the other end of fuel line was down below on passenger's side. Thank you soooooo much!

I do have the disconnect tool and the extra fuel line already. The sensor I have was on my previous ecoboost. I have the fuel it that connects to my phone via blue tooth, not an actual physical gauge.

Thank you and thank you to twin001 for making that thread. My searching skills must suck because I did not see that thread when I was looking.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
That 10mm looks a bit tough to access for sure. A flex/head ratchet wrench (gear wrench brand) should work, but still a pita. I also have flex-sockets in the standard metric sizes to get it from the top as pictured, but I haven’t swapped mine out yet though…

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
That 10mm looks a bit tough to access for sure. A flex/head ratchet wrench (gear wrench brand) should work, but still a pita. I also have flex-sockets in the standard metric sizes to get it from the top as pictured, but I haven’t swapped mine out yet though…
I have flexible head ratchets and flexible head wrenches, but couldn't get close with either. It's just such a tight space with zero visibility....plus it's so far back in engine I literally had to sit on front of engine bay to even attempt getting a tool on it, but the only angle I could actually see the bolt was standing in front leaning way down.

It might help to remove the intake pipes on that side, but there were still other obstacles that make it very tight. About the only advice I could give someone is set aside way more time to do it than you would ever guess you need.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
These are the 1/4 drive flex sockets I’m talking about that may work better.
50419E13-7932-4073-9394-0CF930C57143.jpeg

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
These are the 1/4 drive flex sockets I’m talking about that may work better.
View attachment 8914
Thanks, I do not have a set of these. I'll pick some up and give them a try and report back if they help.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks, I do not have a set of these. I'll pick some up and give them a try and report back if they help.
You don’t need any specialty tools. Although I can’t remember what combination of tools I used on mine…I can assure you it wasn’t anything not found in a normal tool box. It’s just tough to reach.