Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How to check transmission level without getting burned on exhaust!?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I am wanting to check the fluid level on my 23 explorer ST. And I noticed the flex pipe is right there! And in order for me to reach the dipstick, I have to squeeze my hand between tranny and flex pipe. Or is there an easier technique???? Getting burned seems like how I am having to go at the dipstick?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Welding gloves

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, you need some protection. The fill cover/bolt can actually be loosened with a 19mm wench above the pipe but sooner or later, you need your bare fingers to further loosen the bolt and to handle it and the dipstick under it. I feel like your wrist area is most likely to contact so have some protection there. I wish I had mechanics gloves with no fingers. No matter what, it's a challenge.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yeah, you need some protection. The fill cover/bolt can actually be loosened with a 19mm wench above the pipe but sooner or later, you need your bare fingers to further loosen the bolt and to handle it and the dipstick under it. I feel like your wrist area is most likely to contact so have some protection there. I wish I had mechanics gloves with no fingers. No matter what, it's a challenge.

https://www.grainger.com/product/40...VYTmHAx1eWwBHEAQYASABEgL6IfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Since most people don’t have Kevlar sleeves laying around….just soak a towel in cold water and lay it over the pipe. Don’t overthink it.

Reactions
There are lots of soldering blankets/pads that are used in plumbing that can provide protection.

WFO-TSi

Reactions
Vehicle
Not Yet
Remove the bolt/dipstick when it's cold and check it when it's hot.

Use any of the above methods if you need additional protection for the short period of time you are messing with the dipstick to check the level when hot.

OP
Midnight
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
All Excellent ideas! My hands and wrist must be too big, idk, lol..when I got under it when cold, I thought to myself that there is no way without getting burned, and I can barely squeeze my hand up in there!. I figured the pipe coming from the cats would be too damn hot too! Anuways, I'm gonna give what you guys recommend a shot. I don't trust the level in the transmission. It has some funky shifts every once in a while. Being less than 2000 miles on the clock, I don't wanna burn the thing up.

Reactions
you dont need to check it when it's hot. It should be in the middle of the letter/number below the target on the dipstick when its cold, when the trans warms up it will move to the next box.

You also can't even effectively check it when it's hot unless you are monitoring the trans temp to make sure its actually in the 206°F – 215°F range on a scan tool or something like forscan.

39min mark

Ford 10R80 Ten Speed Transmission: Fluid and Filter Service Procedure (youtube.com)

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
when the trans warms up it will move to the next box.
Tbird.....has anyone actually documented that the fluid expansion from "cold" to normal operating temperature is "one number" on the dipstick? In other words, max level cold should be "4"?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ford says check it hot…check it hot.
There’s a reason and it’s not hard to do at all…just let the car idle to maintain temp….its not rocket science.
I’ve seen way to many YouTube techs that don’t know WTF they’re talking about to trust any of them.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Tbird.....has anyone actually documented that the fluid expansion from "cold" to normal operating temperature is "one number" on the dipstick? In other words, max level cold should be "4"?
Not that I’ve ever seen and this is discussed it seems like daily in my FB group.

Explorer ST Posts