Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How many miles did you put on your original breaks?

Reactions
I was just wondering how much the original breaks last in different driving conditions
I drive daily from NJ to NYC
In 3 years i had 49K miles driven
At that point my Ford dealer told me its time for new breaks & same for the original tires

Is that good milage or should they last longer?
Thanks

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
82k miles in 4 1/2 years on stock street pack brakes. It's the family car so sees a lot of miles on road trips but it's also my commuter car. I am super impressed with the performance and longevity. Last I checked, still have a decent amount of meat on the pads. Bought the parts for possible pad/rotor change in the spring/summer.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s pretty darn good for mileage for sure. A lot depends on the driver. My wife barely gets 30k out of her various Mercedes over the years. I tend to get reasonably good mileage out of brakes. Curious what I get out of the BBK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Mine were making a grind/pulsing noise at 25000MI so I changed them out but the pads still had 40%....I just hate that feeling at highway speeds.
I did Reibung pads and slotted/drilled rotors.
When I weighed the old OE rotors and the new ones each new rotor was 1lb lighter

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
41k miles on my brakes. Going well so far, but I'm doing a BBK this summer.
Breaking in brake pads can be a challenge for some.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My base brakes were pretty much toast at 30K miles. I'm not super kind to the brakes though.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I was just wondering how much the original breaks last in different driving conditions
I drive daily from NJ to NYC
In 3 years i had 49K miles driven
At that point my Ford dealer told me its time for new breaks & same for the original tires

Is that good milage or should they last longer?
Thanks
A few mentioned it but it really comes down to your driving style. I know that drive can be a lot of stop and go.

They're telling you that they need to be replaced, my follow up question is how much life is left on the pads? Their tolerance on pad life might be higher than yours. Low pads doesn't mean that they're toast. If you drive gentle and aren't feeling any issues with the brakes than you've got some time. If you're hard on them or getting vibration/noise/etc then something to consider. Hope that helps.

Reactions
52k and still good here....

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Just had 50K service today and they marked my brakes as still green/50%+.

Street Pack brakes and the wife says I always brake too hard (trail braking)

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Reactions
126,500km (aka 78,000ish miles) and I’m still on the originals. Last report was I still had 4 or 5mm left, which was an oddly long time ago but no squealers squealing or grinding yet, so…eternity brakes?

OP
cillik
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Thanks all
I guess NYC kills breaks too :)

rxryanm

Reactions
Vehicle
19 Mustang GT | 01 SVT Lightning
Just because you've done it every time you've said the word - it's brakes.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Unless the brakes, break. ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Doing my service at 32k and im being told to replace brakes and rotors they are gone :ROFLMAO: I got the 21 street package explorer

Interceptor brakes > performance brakes > premium or is it the other way around because by quoted prices premium brakes are the most expensive option, does not make sense

Brake.png

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Doing my service at 32k and im being told to replace brakes and rotors they are gone :ROFLMAO: I got the 21 street package explorer

Interceptor brakes > performance brakes > premium or is it the other way around because by quoted prices premium brakes are the most expensive option, does not make sense

View attachment 21849
You must be driving with your left foot on the brake pedal.