Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

HKS SSQV BOV Review

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I was worried a BOV would put me in the Paul Walker Fast n Furious category. It’s not loud around town when driving normal. At lower levels of boost it’s barely noticeable in the cabin. I installed the purple sound tuning insert to give it a lower sound. It has a nice low hiss. Install was straight forward on the fenfab pipe, but the c clip was a PITA. You’ll need c clip pliers. I got a set on Amazon in a nice soft case for a reasonable price. Make sure it’s seated properly and the clip is all the way expanded or you’ll pop the BOV right off. Don’t ask me how I know. Might want an extra gasket too. Overall, I’m happy with it and glad I went with an aftermarket BOV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Rookie question sorry. I am a super charger guy I know nothing about turbos. I am curious why you would change the BOV? is it just for noise? or are you making a lot more boost so needed?

Reactions
Rookie question sorry. I am a super charger guy I know nothing about turbos. I am curious why you would change the BOV? is it just for noise? or are you making a lot more boost so needed?
upgrading the factory one in theory would help hold boost better at high PSI compared to the cheap factory one. Going to a dual port or VTA for sound is mainly .. just for sound.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The original purpose of the BOV was to eliminate boost spikes during shifts or rapid throttle transition. If you were rushing along at full boost (say 15psi), and closed the throttle, the pressure from the compressor would build up substantially with nowhere to go. This could lead to a "stall" condition which could damage the turbo's compressor wheel. So, the BOV opens at (say 17psi) venting the additional pressure back into the intake before the compressor.

Back in the 80s and 90s, as people started modifying turbo cars by upping the boost, the factory plastic BOVs would fail or leak leading to vendors introducing better versions including those that would "vent to atmosphere" making noise while doing it. Like many hot-rodding ideas, the sound of the blow-off venting implied high performance- sort of like a loud exhaust.

In the real world of turbo cars built in this century with variable valve timing and electronic throttles, depending on how the tuning is done you don't need a blow-off valve at all. Later STs do not have a blow-off valve. So yeah, it's just for noise.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Reliability. Running higher than stock boost. Did I need one? No. Did I want one. Yes. The noise is not intrusive at all especially on the highway and around town in low boost.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
The original purpose of the BOV was to eliminate boost spikes during shifts or rapid throttle transition. If you were rushing along at full boost (say 15psi), and closed the throttle, the pressure from the compressor would build up substantially with nowhere to go. This could lead to a "stall" condition which could damage the turbo's compressor wheel. So, the BOV opens at (say 17psi) venting the additional pressure back into the intake before the compressor.

Back in the 80s and 90s, as people started modifying turbo cars by upping the boost, the factory plastic BOVs would fail or leak leading to vendors introducing better versions including those that would "vent to atmosphere" making noise while doing it. Like many hot-rodding ideas, the sound of the blow-off venting implied high performance- sort of like a loud exhaust.

In the real world of turbo cars built in this century with variable valve timing and electronic throttles, depending on how the tuning is done you don't need a blow-off valve at all. Later STs do not have a blow-off valve. So yeah, it's just for noise.
Excellent answer.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

you reply's are always so informative, thank you!

Shawn528

Reactions
I was worried a BOV would put me in the Paul Walker Fast n Furious category. It’s not loud around town when driving normal. At lower levels of boost it’s barely noticeable in the cabin. I installed the purple sound tuning insert to give it a lower sound. It has a nice low hiss. Install was straight forward on the fenfab pipe, but the c clip was a PITA. You’ll need c clip pliers. I got a set on Amazon in a nice soft case for a reasonable price. Make sure it’s seated properly and the clip is all the way expanded or you’ll pop the BOV right off. Don’t ask me how I know. Might want an extra gasket too. Overall, I’m happy with it and glad I went with an aftermarket BOV.

Did you jus cut the stock line to put the T adapter in?

KoolAl44

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Curious also. Did you get yours figured out?

Explorer ST Posts