Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

HELP! FP Tune issue

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The other day I took my tuner out of my ST and plugged it into my laptop to check for updates. It installed a new version of the Pro Cal 4 software. After that, I hit update and it no longer asks me to login and enter voucher ID. It basically does nothing.

It now shows 1 credit available and no longer shows my stock tune or Calibrated tune and no VIN.

I called FP and they said they will look into it but not to plug it back into the ST or it could "brick" my ride. Is this true? Has anyone had any issues after doing an update? It's like it's forgot the tunes and VIN.

Thanks

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've seen a few others post this same thing. I haven't any resolutions so far. Did your dealer do the install for you? If so, I would see what they have to say. Good luck.

OP
E

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I've seen a few others post this same thing. I haven't any resolutions so far. Did your dealer do the install for you? If so, I would see what they have to say. Good luck.
Yes dealer did the tune the first time. And then it started acting up so the FP guy on the call said to try and update it, then it failed. I'm sure it can be fixed.

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I lost my original tune and ford performance tune on my procal when I connected to my PC to perform an update on the procal device. After multiple calls to ford performance with two different individuals I was told it was impossible for them to send the tunes back to my device. What they did do was send me a new activation code to reset the procal to unused. They told me to have Ford reflash the original tune to the car and start from scratch. My procal now shows 1 credit.
My car still has the ford performance tune and I have a 1 credit blank procal.

OP
E

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I lost my original tune and ford performance tune on my procal when I connected to my PC to perform an update on the procal device. After multiple calls to ford performance with two different individuals I was told it was impossible for them to send the tunes back to my device. What they did do was send me a new activation code to reset the procal to unused. They told me to have Ford reflash the original tune to the car and start from scratch. My procal now shows 1 credit.
My car still has the ford performance tune and I have a 1 credit blank procal.
My device is showing 1 credit but doesn't show a VIN or any tunes. It's going to the dealer today and I have explained everything. The vehicle is currently on the cal tune and tuner is unplugged.

Attachments

OP
E

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Dealer had it all day today, they need to get a new Voucher ID from Ford Performance so they basically start fresh

OP
E

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
They are also going to replace the tuner itself because dealer feels the screen is "blown out" or pixaleted

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thats what I ended up with a new voucher code from Ford Performance. The truck has the tune installed. No reason at this point to start again from scratch.

OP
E

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Wher
Thats what I ended up with a new voucher code from Ford Performance. The truck has the tune installed. No reason at this point to start again from scratch.
So they sent you back your stock tune?

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
No. They claim they don’t have my stock tune. Even though in the tuner instructions it says to upload your stock tune to them and receive the Ford Performance tune your actually not uploading the tune to them. What you are doing is confirming to them you had the stock tune because they are going to give you a warranty.

I had a Procal that had my stock tune that I originally downloded to the procal and the Performance Tune they sent me.

I had the tune installed (button press) by an ASE mechanic and received their warranty by applying online. I never again connected the procal to the car. At that time the procal showed both tunes.

I heard there was an update to the procal devise on this forum so I connected it to my computer it showed an update I took it and it wiped the procal clean except for my VIN which now said Lincoln even though I have an ST.

After many calls to Ford Performance they said “we do not store your stock tune it’s only on your procal”.

Their resolution was to send me a new voucher code and tell me to have the dealer reinstall the stock tune and use the now as new procal to start over. The voucher code worked I registered the procal and it seems to be as new out of the box.

Since my car has the ford performance tune, ford is aware I have it, I see no reason to start over since I don’t use the procal in the car.

OP
E

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
No. They claim they don’t have my stock tune. Even though in the tuner instructions it says to upload your stock tune to them and receive the Ford Performance tune your actually not uploading the tune to them. What you are doing is confirming to them you had the stock tune because they are going to give you a warranty.

I had a Procal that had my stock tune that I originally downloded to the procal and the Performance Tune they sent me.

I had the tune installed (button press) by an ASE mechanic and received their warranty by applying online. I never again connected the procal to the car. At that time the procal showed both tunes.

I heard there was an update to the procal devise on this forum so I connected it to my computer it showed an update I took it and it wiped the procal clean except for my VIN which now said Lincoln even though I have an ST.

After many calls to Ford Performance they said “we do not store your stock tune it’s only on your procal”.

Their resolution was to send me a new voucher code and tell me to have the dealer reinstall the stock tune and use the now as new procal to start over. The voucher code worked I registered the procal and it seems to be as new out of the box.

Since my car has the ford performance tune, ford is aware I have it, I see no reason to start over since I don’t use the procal in the car.
Yah sounds like this is what will happen. Sounds like a few people having the same issue

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, there are some good reasons to have the stock tune. Like when you want to tow.

Honestly, this whole dealer installed stipulation for warranty is stupid for a device and software that is intended for the end-user.

Reactions
I saw that there were updates to the ProCal device, so I thought it would be best to revert to the stock tune before updating the device just in case. Nothing seemed to be lost when I updated the device and then reinstalled the tune. I know this is after the fact instructions, but may help others in the future. Good luck.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I saw that there were updates to the ProCal device, so I thought it would be best to revert to the stock tune before updating the device just in case. Nothing seemed to be lost when I updated the device and then reinstalled the tune. I know this is after the fact instructions, but may help others in the future. Good luck.
That is smart as hell. Kudos to you for playing it safe. Once you have the software on your desktop and communicating properly with your ProCal, you have nothing to worry about for future updates. On my Livernois (apparently same device), it updates the desktop software and device firmware quite frequently. Never a problem.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Same problem here. I took some data logs and went to download them off the pro cal and I wasn't even given an option to update - now my pro cal software is showing 1 unused credit and none of my cars information....great forced update

Guess I'm calling tomorrow to see what's up

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
All those having these silly issues with your ford/procal tune should route all the problems through the fire starter guy. I hear he’s the forum expert on it.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All those having these silly issues with your ford/procal tune should route all the problems through the fire starter guy. I hear he’s the forum expert on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's always nice when he crawls back under his rock.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yes dealer did the tune the first time. And then it started acting up so the FP guy on the call said to try and update it, then it failed. I'm sure it can be fixed.
what do you mean that it started acting up? Do you mean problems with the ST?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I got this fixed recently. I emailed ford performance with my issue (same as everyone else here) and they eventually referred me to one of their calibration engineers. He was able to remote into my computer / procal. My procal still had my tune on it but for whatever reason the update made the software not show it / hide it. He was able to edit a couple of files internal to the procal and now everything is back to working. No need to go to a dealer / reflash / get new tune credits / bla bla bla. A+ ford performance customer service.