Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Help. Anyone have experience with PAC Amppro ap4-fd31? New system put in and I’m very disappointed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Need some advice. Had a new system put in today. New sub. The amp pro, new amp and new 6x9 speakers. It sounds terrible. Chimes sounds different in the car too. Weird!

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You posted on Facebook I believe…Carrie?

First…I hope you used a shop that specializes in modern integration but the parts list you posted on FB leads me to believe they don’t. First…you don’t have four 6x9’s. You have a 3 way with a 6x9 midbass up front and a 2 way with 6.5 round speaker.
Putting a cheap 3 way 6x9 in was mistake number 1. And find out what they put in the back doors because that’s not it.
The Amppro probably needs to be set up and tweaked as well not to mention the amps set up and the whole system tuned as well as it can be given the limitations of the gear…which are substantial.
You would likely have been happier with a simple LOC, amp and sub.

Last edited:
OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I did post on FB.
PAC Amppro
4 Pioneer 6x9 TS g6930f
Kicker 10’ Thunder in a thin box
5 Chanel DS 18 amp

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I edited my post. I found your FB post.

OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Damn
You posted on Facebook I believe…Carrie?

First…I hope you used a shop that specializes in modern integration but the parts list you posted on FB leads me to believe they don’t. First…you don’t have four 6x9’s. You have a 3 way with a 6x9 midbass up front and a 2 way with 6.5 round speaker.
Putting a cheap 3 way 6x9 in was mistake number 1. And find out what they put in the back doors because that’s not it.
The Amppro probably needs to be set up and tweaked as well not to mention the amps set up and the whole system tuned as well as it can be given the limitations of the gear…which are substantial.
You would likely have been happier with a simple LOC, amp and sub.
Damn! I’m so upset. So the back door speakers are not 6x9? They are a 6.5 round? I’m going in first thing in the morning in hopes that they still have my original speakers. So was the Amp pro necessary? Thanks for your response. Much appreciated

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The PAC interface is fine…the 6x9’s and DS18 amp are trash. I hope they didn’t hack up your back doors for a $50 pair of speakers…I’d be asking for proof of what they did including having them pull a door panel to show you.
Without knowing what they did with the amp all you can really do is play with the treble,midrange and bass on your head unit. I wouldn’t mind seeing a pic of the amp though…how/where it’s mounted and the controls side of it.

OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
A friend of mine suggested to get a better amp. I’m ok with doing that. I want my stock speakers back in the doors for sure. Now I’m pissed.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I can’t read the controls but it looks like there’s a subsonic filter set for the sub…unless your sub enclosure is ported that should be off. And for fucks sake is that amp just laying there?
I don’t know what shop fucked you over but I’d be headed back for a complete refund and all my stock stuff put back in. What they did is borderline criminal.
A better amp won’t help those speakers…sorry. They sold you bottom of the barrel shit. If you paid more than $50 a pair for those 6x9’s you got hosed.

OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I paid $90 a pair. It’s Velcro down. How would I know if my sub is ported?

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
When you put a pic in your post, select Full Image and it’ll post full size…much easier to see.
All I can recommend you do now is take it back and make them refund you. If they won’t, I hope you paid with a card or some other way you can put a stop payment on it. That shop shouldn’t be in business.

OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
IMG_1387.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I can see the controls better in that last pic…I don’t even know what to say.

OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
That bad huh?
The problem I may have is they send you one place to purchase everything and then they install. I have 2 places to deal with now. I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

1. Speakers they sold me are not only wrong size in back but also sub par to the speaker that was already in the vehicle.
2. Amp is trash
3. By the way, the factory sub doesn’t work now????
4. Sounds and chimes are different sounding than the original factory sounds
5. PAC wasn’t tuned properly, I have not idea where they even put this.
6. Bluetooth sounds weird

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The PAC plugs into the oem amp wiring…so that amp is removed from the equation along with the sub and other speakers.

Yes they sold you the wrong size rear speaker but they also sold you a terribly cheap speaker that will never, ever sound good.

Get all of it out of your car and start fresh with a real plan based on what you really want.
I really hope you get all your money back and your car restored…that shop should be out of business.

OP
StellaST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
The PAC plugs into the oem amp wiring…so that amp is removed from the equation along with the sub and other speakers.

Yes they sold you the wrong size rear speaker but they also sold you a terribly cheap speaker that will never, ever sound good.

Get all of it out of your car and start fresh with a real plan based on what you really want.
I really hope you get all your money back and your car restored…that shop should be out of business.
Thanks for all of your time tonight. I appreciate it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Stella, how's it going with the shop?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Stella, how's it going with the shop?
It got worse…they hacked up her stock speakers to use as adapters and god knows what else is hidden. Everyone is encouraging her to get her money back…I hope she does. I’d also demand replacement stock speakers.
Shops like that should randomly catch fire in the middle of the night.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Get your money back.

When I installed my system in my Explorer, I followed this video.
I spent over $2500 in amp, speaker, wiring and other stuff.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Get your money back.

When I installed my system in my Explorer, I followed this video.
I spent over $2500 in amp, speaker, wiring and other stuff.

Sometimes I wish that’s all I did too. lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Damn this thread just make me sick :sick: