Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hello Ive got a black 2020 explorer st a few days ago (Concerns)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
It has 66k miles and looks like its been taken care of but the closer I look the more worried I get. It looks like the owner used it on a gravel road frequently. there is gravel dust everywhere inside and out (engine bay) also seems the owner ran it on 87 octane and has aftermarket coolant. when you click the start button for accessorys there is an electronic grinding noise. Does anyone know what this is? Other than that it drives great, power is there and getting a 93 tune shortly.

Last edited:

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Welcome! The clicking or grinding you hear when you turn the switch on or off is normal. Mine does that also.
I run 89 in mine and don’t have any issues.
Sometimes I’ll run 87.
You just won’t get the total power effect running lower octane as you would with 91 or higher and it may decrease the mpg a little running lower octane.
Now if the previous owner put aftermarket coolant back in that meets Fords specs, you should be fine. If not, I would do a complete flush and put the correct stuff back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MKdude
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thank you so much! I have a gas station with 93 rignt next to my home so ill just put 93 in it and probably just do a coolant flush. thinking about a catch can also

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It has 66k miles and looks like its been taken care of but the closer I look the more worried I get. It looks like the owner used it on a gravel road frequently. there is gravel dust everywhere inside and out (engine bay) also seems the owner ran it on 87 octane and has aftermarket coolant. when you click the start button for accessorys there is an electronic grinding noise. Does anyone know what this is? Other than that it drives great, power is there and getting a 93 tune shortly.
87 octane is perfectly fine for the car, and Ford states it works fine. If you want optimum performance premium fuel is the best, but it won’t hurt the engine to use 87. The electronic grinding noise is maybe the fuel pump priming, our noise just sounds like belts though. What makes you think it has aftermarket coolant? Even if it is aftermarket coolant it is fine as long as it is the same specs as the Ford one.

OP
MKdude
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Different color from ford motor company coolant.

OP
MKdude
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
I also have a concern for the Rear dif. i heard it breaks easily.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
If you have 1 bolt on the rear subframe, don’t launch the car ever unless you want to break it. Get a differential brace if you launch the car at all. If not you don’t need to worry about it.
If you have a 2-bolt subframe you are one of the lucky ones, although not many ‘23 came with them.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Different color from ford motor company coolant.
Did you contact who you bought the car from. Maybe they have service records that will show what coolant it is.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
On your 2020 Explorer you should have the 2 bolt rear end. I doubt you will an issue with it.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
On your 2020 Explorer you should have the 2 bolt rear end. I doubt you will an issue with it.
Unless he launches a lot like Tyler Clark than he will be fine. IMO I would get a brace even if I have a 2-bolt if I was going to launch even once.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any idea what maintenance/recalls done?

Here are some of the common 2020 issues:
1) downpipe (Cat) exhaust leak (recall), 2) front axle boot leak (both sides), 3) midpipe flex section leak/failure (both sides), 4) front axle disconnect actuator leak, and 5) multiple modules needing firmware updates to correct problems/quirks, 6) axle speed sensor failure, 7) bottom undercarriage flapping from plastic retainers, 8) rear axle spline "TINK!" sound when moving from a standstill, 9) window control "chrome" flaking off, 10) backup camera blue (recall), 11) Sync 22251 issues,(12) AWD module "failure" due to faulty grounding. With a much lesser incidence, trans cooler leak, transmission issue with harsh shifti ng, improper installation of sunroof drains, headlight or taillight condensation.

Last edited:
OP
MKdude
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
ok I found last night that there is a hose and a white plastic plug in it below the engine/ transmission. any idie what that is, it was leaking either oil or tm fluid.

OP
MKdude
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I believe all recalls have been done

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
ok I found last night that there is a hose and a white plastic plug in it below the engine/ transmission. any idie what that is, it was leaking either oil or tm fluid.
post a picture

OP
MKdude
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
is this serious?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
is this serious?
A transmission leak is yes serious. On our 2020 the transmission was leaking and it turned out to be a bad transmission gasket. I would let know who you bought it from and ask them to rectify the problem.