Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Headlight sensor in the middle of dash by windshield

BlackTennesseeST

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hello everyone, I just bought a used ST on Wednesday, Today I noticed that the sensor that's in the middle of the dash up by the windshield has been broken and the lens is gone, I cant seem to find that part, and does anyone know how to remove/replace it?
I believe its the headlight auto dimming sensor.
Id like to take it back to the Ford dealership I got it from but its a long drive for me and I'm active duty army and I don't have the time to make that trip again, That's what I get for buying a vehicle in the dark and not be able to look it over properly I suppose. I wont make that mistake again and I love the rest of the ST except for that piece lol, so if I could get it fixed without being raped at the dealership that would be spectacular!

Thanks in Advance!
Misti

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Does your headlight auto dimming work still? Any other auto functions NOT working? (camera views ect)
If everything still works as advertised, maybe not worth the time/money/hassle of the stealership visit!

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Isn't that the temperature sensor? I thought the headlight is behind the mirror?

A camera sensor, centrally mounted behind the windshield of your vehicle, continuously monitors conditions to turn the high beams on and off.

Reactions
Its the sensor for ambient light to let the truck know whether to go into night mode - headlights on - interior lights dim or day mode - headlights off - interior lights brighter.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Its the sensor for ambient light to let the truck know whether to go into night mode - headlights on - interior lights dim or day mode - headlights off - interior lights brighter.
That's what is has been on my last 3 GM vehicles too.