Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Headlamp Switch Changes Position

hbalek

Reactions
On about 3 occasions in the past few months, I noticed a warning chime as I entered the vehicle. The first time it happened I didn't realize until I was driving away in broad daylight that my headlights were on. I always leave it in Auto mode. One time I noticed that the LED indicator was off. and couldn't tell what position the switch was in. When I turned the knob the amber LED came back on and I was able to turn the lights back off to Auto mode. This is an intermittent issue and I can't tell what is triggering it. It was definitely not a case of me bumping the knob with my knee or accidentally turning the knob. Has anyone else ever experienced this or have any ideas?

Reactions
Actually,

Now that you mention it, my wife told me the other day that her headlights were on in the middle of the day and wanted to know what she did wrong. I checked the knob and it was set to On. I just assumed it got bumped off of Auto, but maybe it is something else?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I had a 2019 ranger that I would bump the headlight rotary switch readily with my knee getting into the truck. It was a PIA until I realized how it was happening and I changed/refined my entrance technique.

I have done this ONCE on the Explorer ST so I am again conscious of how I enter the vehicle, although it is not as easy to bump the switch on the ST as it was on the Ranger...

Reactions
I did this a few time. My quick fix was I changed my exit feature so the seat moves all the way back & the steering column moves in & up when exiting the car.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
My knee is no where near the knob when entering or exiting the vehicle though.

Reactions
Interesting. I know for me it feels like it sits in a notch for every turn. Have you tried turning it so it fits into the notch?

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Turning it to the proper notch was the way I corrected this issue on 3 or more occasions recently. I never touch the knob or change the setting from auto which led me to think that it was changing on its own.

Reactions
Maybe have the dealer look at it. That would annoy the hell out of me.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I thought that too but after it happened (only once) I knew that the only way for that switch to move was to be physically touched and that could only happen if I bumped it with my knee. Then I remembered that I had jumped out of the vehicle to run back into the house to grab something I forgot, so the seat was in my "driving" position and that made it likely that i bumped the switch with my knee.
It is entirely possible to "bump" the switch and be unaware you have done so, this was the case with my "non memory" seat Ranger and it drove me nuts until I realized what was causing the switch to move. In the Ranger I changed the way I entered the vehicle, in the Explorer normally the seat is all the way to the read when I enter, but if I start the vehicle than exit with it running the seat is in the driving position when I re-enter and my knee comes very close to the light switch.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I thought that too but after it happened (only once) I knew that the only way for that switch to move was to be physically touched and that could only happen if I bumped it with my knee. Then I remembered that I had jumped out of the vehicle to run back into the house to grab something I forgot, so the seat was in my "driving" position and that made it likely that i bumped the switch with my knee.
It is entirely possible to "bump" the switch and be unaware you have done so, this was the case with my "non memory" seat Ranger and it drove me nuts until I realized what was causing the switch to move. In the Ranger I changed the way I entered the vehicle, in the Explorer normally the seat is all the way to the read when I enter, but if I start the vehicle than exit with it running the seat is in the driving position when I re-enter and my knee comes very close to the light switch.
It is an electronic switch and not a mechanical knob so it turns infinitely around clockwise and counterclockwise. On one of the occasions the switch was "asleep" with no LED indicator on. It "woke up" after I turned it and the LED came back on. This is just one of the many electronic/electrical glitches in this vehicle. Also, my seat is all the way back and does not move at all upon entry/exit.

Another annoying glitch I've had is occasionally like maybe every few months my ambient lighting is turned off and has to be turned on from the center screen menus. This is not something you can accidentally bump! LOL

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
It happened again today and I witnessed it. I was in a restaurant with the car parked and off in front. I looked and the headlights were off. A few minutes later, the headlights were on. I went outside and the switch amber LED was off, so I turned the knob and amber indicator came on and it was on the headlamps on position instead of the auto on/off position where I usually leave it. This car has some serious electronic gremlins. I miss mechanical knobs that can only turn on if your knee bumps it!

Reactions
It definitely sounds like a software issue. What is your build date, it might be worth asking your dealer to update the latest software.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
It definitely sounds like a software issue. What is your build date, it might be worth asking your dealer to update the latest software.
My build date is 11/19. I have the Sync 3 up to date and also the PCM was updated back in April for check engine light. The BCM or other software hasn't been updated.

Reactions
i have an ST with build date of 2/26/2020 and have this issue as well. I have noticed on three occasions that the lights either stay on or turn back on after exiting the car. My wife and I always have the selector on "auto" and there is no way our knees are bumping the switch. I have noticed the same thing with the indicator light not showing what is selected and when you click it once in either direction it turns on and indicates its in the "on" position.

I did have Ford update the Sync3 system to the latest because it was so slow to boot. It didn't help the slow boot but i have not seen the headlamp issue again. Not saying it fixed it, just have not seen the issue since. It could just be coincidence as the headlamp issue did not occur that frequently for us.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
i have an ST with build date of 2/26/2020 and have this issue as well. I have noticed on three occasions that the lights either stay on or turn back on after exiting the car. My wife and I always have the selector on "auto" and there is no way our knees are bumping the switch. I have noticed the same thing with the indicator light not showing what is selected and when you click it once in either direction it turns on and indicates its in the "on" position.

I did have Ford update the Sync3 system to the latest because it was so slow to boot. It didn't help the slow boot but i have not seen the headlamp issue again. Not saying it fixed it, just have not seen the issue since. It could just be coincidence as the headlamp issue did not occur that frequently for us.
I guess I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue! I thought I was losing my mind. LOL

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I captured it with photos this time! It has happened once a month for the past 6 months or so. As you can see the lights are on and the switch is "alseep." Once you turn it it resets and you can set it to auto or any position with the LED lit up.

Attachments