Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hands-Free Foot activated Lift Gate

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone know if this would be a simple retrofit to a '23 Explorer? I know a lot of people aren't a fan of this....maybe send me your parts? :LOL:

I used this feature a lot on my '20 ST. This is one of the deleted things I will miss the most.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
surely someone has the part #s, I think you'd have to use Forscan to program it back into the vehicle though...

Reactions
All I know for sure is where the control module is, BUT there is an antenna wire that runs a loop that creates an electrical field that, when you wave your foot under it, becomes disrupted and activates the liftgate to open - sort of like how the sensors in the road for traffic lights work. Or some magic like that anyway. Not sure where the antenna wire is routed so depending on where, it could be a tricky wire run. Not sure if the control harness would be pre-existing for it. Mounting the module would probably be the easiest part.

This was my thread for disabling the feature because it was a piece of shit feature that was a pain in my ass and I wanted it dead. Gives you an idea of location of the module and shit. https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...n-or-close-motion-feature-full-pictures.1938/

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks KNTRDR! I will check out your write up

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Reactions
Reactions
I have an extra module if you want to check to see if yours has one installed. It is under the driver side brake light on inside of vehicle. Might have to remove some plastic trim to see if you have one or not.

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My 2023 ST has the hardware installed-ish. Like another thread stated, the module is a dummy module. It has the plugs and the antenna loop, so all I need to do is find a module. I nailed down all the programming in Forscan to enable it as well, but I can't confirm until I get a module. More to follow.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
My 2023 ST has the hardware installed-ish. Like another thread stated, the module is a dummy module. It has the plugs and the antenna loop, so all I need to do is find a module. I nailed down all the programming in Forscan to enable it as well, but I can't confirm until I get a module. More to follow.
I'm going to check mine for the same hardware install. Thanks for the info. Interested to hear what you find out once you get a module.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
I have a new 23 and just discovered the new ST's don't come with an auto lift gate. I also have hardware and would be interested on making it functional.

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Thanks for the info!

I called Ford Customer Relations today about my "missing" Hands Free Liftgate Option. I gave FORD my VIN, they looked it up on their Build Sheet (I think it's their internal document), and confirmed this feature should be included. Ford said this feature was delayed because of parts shortage, and they will notify me when the part is available. Ford also said that any dealer will install it and went so far as to call the dealer where I purchased my ST (WHILE I was on the phone with them) to confirm I'm due the part/fix.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I think I'll wait for a while to see if the part comes in before I try to fix this on my own.

Reactions
Thanks for the info!

I called Ford Customer Relations today about my "missing" Hands Free Liftgate Option. I gave FORD my VIN, they looked it up on their Build Sheet (I think it's their internal document), and confirmed this feature should be included. Ford said this feature was delayed because of parts shortage, and they will notify me when the part is available. Ford also said that any dealer will install it and went so far as to call the dealer where I purchased my ST (WHILE I was on the phone with them) to confirm I'm due the part/fix.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I think I'll wait for a while to see if the part comes in before I try to fix this on my own.
If you need the module, I have a spare one. Found it laying in the back when i took some trim pieces off. My hatch would randomly open by itself when I bought it, I fixed the issue with a sync update but I'm guessing original owner had the module replaced and tech accidentally left it in the vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Thanks..I'll take the spare module! I sent you a separate email with my contact info.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'll have to check my 22 if the stuff is there. I think the module is the same, just turned of but is the same module for power liftgate.. so I'll see if the sensors are there like others reported... I hope so...

I like the feature and want it back... I was very disappointed to find out the hands free liftgate was removed.

When it cools down tonight I'll look. well into the 100's right now and truck is in the driveway in the sun, so not looking fwd to getting on the ground.

Also the screw hole for the rear trim that is right next to the lift button (you might of accidentally put your finger in it while opening the lift gate by hand (oops, wrong hole) LOL... Well we have a problem where spiders keep making that their home... Left home, went about 70-80mph at times, with heavy acceleration at stop lights (playing with my tune I'm workinig on), got to Costco and went through the carwash yesterday (right rear window leaked like crazy and poured water all over the infotainment computer that is under that panel and it is destroyed now)... Pulled in the parking lot to go over the doors, linnings and everything with micro fiber towles to dry and get all final clean up from the wash, and there was a big spider still just chillin in there! (found his web he built over the entire rear end of the truck the night before, so I know he was in there from Home).... So watch yourself when opening the gate by hand!!! Plug that hole with something!!!

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Thanks for the info!

Update on Hands Free Liftgate:

Finally got a local dealer to try and fix my liftgate. Long story short, they picked up my ST and provided me a loaner. After 2 1/2 weeks, the dealer could not get it to work. They replaced all the parts, reprogrammed, and still nothing. I'll get my ST back tomorrow and they will be escalating to Ford Engineering. It should not be this complicated but at least the dealer is taking care of me.

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Update on Hands Free Liftgate:

Finally got a local dealer to try and fix my liftgate. Long story short, they picked up my ST and provided me a loaner. After 2 1/2 weeks, the dealer could not get it to work. They replaced all the parts, reprogrammed, and still nothing. I'll get my ST back tomorrow and they will be escalating to Ford Engineering. It should not be this complicated but at least the dealer is taking care of me.
I can almost guarantee that no matter what they do, the won't get it working even with the correct hardware installed. The programming is pulled from ford servers. Since the '23's came without it, they changed the as-built data on the server for the BCM to disable it. They can program it 100 times, but will still put the disabled data into the BCM. The only way to fix it is Forscan.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Do dealers ever use ForeScan? You'd think Ford Engineering would figure this out.

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Do dealers ever use ForeScan? You'd think Ford Engineering would figure this out.
Never in my experience if they want to stay employed. Ford Engineering has it figured out, how do you think they disabled it? ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ford engineering had their own tools to enable and disable features. They can not use Forscan, liability and other reasons. But their tools enable the PIDs the same way. So they are able to do the same work and their manuals walk them thru it. My '22, the build sheet has a rear lift gate removal line item and a refund on it because of parts shortages. Same with rear AC controls and rear heated seats. I purchased the control and put it in myself and rear AC works now and rear heated seats work now, even tho they removed it and refunded money for the removal.