Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

H&R Springs & Bora Spacers Installed!

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Here's a pic of the 1.25 spacers on my front hubs
20201212_150725.jpg

F=MA

Reactions
Did you limit the hand torque to 140 ft-lb's ? It appears you did not use any red Loctite which Bora said will void any warranty. I worry about taking it in for a rotate and balance and having the junior mechanic zap the shit out of the wheel nuts with an air wrench. Some dealers won't let you stand by and baby sit.

Last edited:

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Torque was limited to my :sneaky: tired, weak, 63 y.o. arms and the factory lug wrench. I usually normally check my recently fiddled with lugs after 50 mile drive, (I usually, as I certainly did this time), take a 60 mph max spin around "the block" and re tighten or check the lugs (with the stock factory lug wrench). Even after bringing my car home from a dealership or mechanic of any sort, I double check my wheels and lug nuts (looking for scratches or chips as well). As far as double checking these Bora spacer lugs, since I had put the spacers on myself a week before having H&R lowering and Steeda sway bar done, I'd already popped the wheels off, re tightened the spacer lugs (factory wrench) and then retightened the wheel lugs. The day of the lowering I kept it under 60 mph, checked wheel lugs at home, (since that very same jr.mech may have air wrenched them on when they did the springs and bar) then on Tuesday I cracked 100 on some beautiful sweepers nearby, and .... "planted" it felt like a beautiful carved turn through just right snow on skis. I thank you and all the others that posted here about these very upgrades. I'd never heard of BORA spacers in the 49 years of my automotive interest part of life.

Reactions
I see people run 1.25" spacers all around so that the studs don't have to be trimmed, as you have trim studs running 1" spacers up front. I do notice that the fronts with 1.25" sit more flush than the rear with 1.25" spacers. What about going with 1.5" spacers in the rear, and 1.25" in the front so the studs don't have to be trimmed, and in theory, the rear will sit flush like the front with 1.25" spacers. I do realize the risks of wheel bearing issues, but I do have the plans of going with correct offset wheels in the future, but I'd rather have a tune from ZFG along with intercooler. I also plan on springs, and the wheels I like are pretty expensive the way I want them. 22x10.5 with 30-35mm offset( whatever offset fits to my liking), custom painted Vossens(3pc white and black, BC forged, or Forgiato.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
Another members ST - Stock left, 1.25 inch spacers right. I have the Bora spacers still sitting new in the box (see for sale section) (1.00 inch front, 1.25 inch rear). I had to order a jacking puck and grinder just to install. They took so long to make the spacers (3 to 4 weeks) that I changed my mind after ordering them. Looked at several wheel/tire combinations also. To me the stock wheel and tire combo is just right and makes the ST the ST. Once you pull off those wheels and tires the ST identity goes with it and it becomes more of a generic look especially if I toss on Vossen HF2 wheels. Here is my ST with another members wheels and tires. These kinda look mean and I was thinking hard about getting a set and may yet. Or how about the HRE wheels....

20201212_132529.jpg

test10.jpg test12.jpg

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Through the recommendations of others here on this thread and others here I upgraded my Rapid Red ST with Bora spacers (1.25" front and rear) H&R Springs and Steeda Swaybar. It's winter here in MN and this is fresh from the car wash... arrrgh Dirty Side view black lugs.jpg
To me the ride is just so much better

Reactions
Through the recommendations of others here on this thread and others here I upgraded my Rapid Red ST with Bora spacers (1.25" front and rear) H&R Springs and Steeda Swaybar. It's winter here in MN and this is fresh from the car wash... arrrgh View attachment 3610
To me the ride is just so much better
I know exactly how you feel. The roads here in NY during the winter are the same way. Very hard to keep her clean... especially the lower plastic trim parts. I feel like I have to clean them every time after taking a drive. As for the ride after the mods... ditto! Nice color BTW;)

Reactions
Fortunately, we've had a mild winter here in the Northeast so far, but we use a ton of salt on the roads here, and whenever I get a chance, I pressure wash the ST and turn the heater on in the garage.

Reactions
Another members ST - Stock left, 1.25 inch spacers right. I have the Bora spacers still sitting new in the box (see for sale section) (1.00 inch front, 1.25 inch rear). I had to order a jacking puck and grinder just to install. They took so long to make the spacers (3 to 4 weeks) that I changed my mind after ordering them. Looked at several wheel/tire combinations also. To me the stock wheel and tire combo is just right and makes the ST the ST. Once you pull off those wheels and tires the ST identity goes with it and it becomes more of a generic look especially if I toss on Vossen HF2 wheels. Here is my ST with another members wheels and tires. These kinda look mean and I was thinking hard about getting a set and may yet. Or how about the HRE wheels....

View attachment 3598

View attachment 3600 View attachment 3601
I do the like that HRE design, I definitely will be changing my wheels when the stock tires are worn. I've been looking at going with a 22" wheel with paint matched lip(star white) and black center. So far Forgiato has a design that I like. I also think I'll be paint matching some of the black trim over wheel arches as well.

I like this design, without the red, though it matches the red caliper, but I have thought about getting black custom caliper covers that I have seen here on the forum.

Reactions
White wheel wildness!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Finally had my H&R springs and 1.25" Bora spacers installed. I LOVE the look and feel of this setup. Great stance and better handling overall.

It just takes on a meaner more sinister look.

Also spray tinted the taillights and tinted side windows 15% View attachment 2337 View attachment 2338 View attachment 2339 View attachment 2340 View attachment 2341 View attachment 2342 View attachment 2343 View attachment 2345 View attachment 2346 View attachment 2347 View attachment 2348 View attachment 2349 View attachment 2350 View attachment 2351 View attachment 2352

Before & After pics attached.
I never considered spacers until I saw your pictures. Thanks for the post.

Do you happen to have a picture from behind (slightly under) the vehicle, to see how the wheel's stance look like now?

bship22

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
For those using the Bora spacers, what torque are you going with? Just stopping at the 140 as recommended by Bora or going with the 150. Tried to call them and no response yet, thought I'd see what others are doing.

bship22

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I have Bora 1.25" spacers on the rear of mine and you do not have to cut the studs. I put 1" spacers on the front and I had to cut about 0.25" off the stock studs to get the wheels to sit flush with the spacer.

The Bora spacers come with their own set of nuts and you reuse your stock ones.

Zero vibration after about 2 weeks of having them. Drives like normal.
What torque are you going with? Just stopping at the 140 as recommended by Bora or going with the 150. Tried to call them and no response yet, thought I'd see what others are doing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How much did you have to adjust your camber after installing your springs?

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
For those using the Bora spacers, what torque are you going with? Just stopping at the 140 as recommended by Bora or going with the 150. Tried to call them and no response yet, thought I'd see i what others are doing.
I used Bora's recommendation.

Reactions
For those opting to go with the aluminum spacer, do you do much towing? Although aluminum would be definitely fine for just the weight of the vehicle, I worry about the added stress at the rear especially from the towing load.