Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

H&R Springs & Bora Spacers Installed!

OP
smithero
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
I did H&R springs and 1.25" spacers all around.

Wow the lowering is awesome!!! I will definitely do that....all you need is to change the springs with the H&R or Steeda?? nothing else needed??
d

F=MA

Reactions
Finally had my H&R springs and 1.25" Bora spacers installed. I LOVE the look and feel of this setup. Great stance and better handling overall.

It just takes on a meaner more sinister look.

Also spray tinted the taillights and tinted side windows 15% View attachment 2337 View attachment 2338 View attachment 2339 View attachment 2340 View attachment 2341 View attachment 2342 View attachment 2343 View attachment 2345 View attachment 2346 View attachment 2347 View attachment 2348 View attachment 2349 View attachment 2350 View attachment 2351 View attachment 2352

Before & After pics attached.
Love the look also !!

Can you tell us exactly what part numbers one needs to complete this project as you did? What about the headlight aim now?

I have the Gorilla 96643BDX Wheel Lock Set on the stock 21 inch wheels. Does anybody know if that will present an issue if I use the 1.25" Bora spacers with these wheel locks (regarding factory stud length and Gorilla wheel lock thread depth?

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Love the look also !!

Can you tell us exactly what part numbers one needs to complete this project as you did? What about the headlight aim now?

I have the Gorilla 96643BDX Wheel Lock Set on the stock 21 inch wheels. Does anybody know if that will present an issue if I use the 1.25" Bora spacers with these wheel locks (regarding factory stud length and Gorilla wheel lock thread depth?
The Bora spacers come with their own lug nuts. You torque the spacer to the hub then torque the rim to the spacer with your Gorilla lug nuts.

LokiWolf

Reactions
These things come in right around 5000lbs. There are F150’s that weigh less. A new CCSB 2wd F150 is just over 5000.
So, you recommend Steel? Or aluminum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
smithero
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
So, you recommend Steel? Or aluminum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The owner at motorsport-tech.com where I bought them told me that steel is not needed, even though steel was a higher price point.

Reactions
The owner at motorsport-tech.com where I bought them told me that steel is not needed, even though steel was a higher price point.
This may be a stupid question but did you use spacers on all four wheels?

Reactions
Would it be bad to go with a 1" (or any size really) spacer on stock wheels/tires until an aftermarket order arrives? Also, what did you torque the lug nuts to? Because the owner's manual says 150 ft-lbs for lug nuts, but Motorsport-tech's instructions say "If the specs call for more than 140 ft-lbs, please call us.."

Last edited:
OP
smithero
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Would it be bad to go with a 1" (or any size really) spacer on stock wheels/tires until an aftermarket order arrives? Also, what did you torque the lug nuts to? Because the owner's manual says 150 ft-lbs for lug nuts, but Motorsport-tech's instructions say "If the specs call for more than 140 ft-lbs, please call us.."
I had these installed by a pro, who also installed my springs.

F=MA

Reactions
I have Bora 1.25" spacers on the rear of mine and you do not have to cut the studs. I put 1" spacers on the front and I had to cut about 0.25" off the stock studs to get the wheels to sit flush with the spacer.

The Bora spacers come with their own set of nuts and you reuse your stock ones.

Zero vibration after about 2 weeks of having them. Drives like normal.
Are the spacers both Bola aluminum? Having trouble envisioning this "I put 1" spacers on the front and I had to cut about 0.25" off the stock studs to get the wheels to sit flush with the spacer."

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Are the spacers both Bola aluminum? Having trouble envisioning this "I put 1" spacers on the front and I had to cut about 0.25" off the stock studs to get the wheels to sit flush with the spacer."
the bora spacers aren’t just a spacer. They have their own built in studs. So the length of the stock stud pass all the way through the spacer and will hit the rim with a 1” spacer. The 1.25” still are thinner than depth of stock studs but the tip of the protruding stud sits inside that concavity on the rim

Reactions
the bora spacers aren’t just a spacer. They have their own built in studs. So the length of the stock stud pass all the way through the spacer and will hit the rim with a 1” spacer. The 1.25” still are thinner than depth of stock studs but the tip of the protruding stud sits inside that concavity on the rim
This is correct. You use the supplied nuts with the bora spacers to attach the to the hub. Then you use your lug nuts to attach your wheels to the Bora spacers. Yes they are aluminum and you only have cut your stock studs for spacers less than 1.25". There is more than enough threads left over after cutting them a little. I've had them on for a few months and have had zero issues.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
This is correct. You use the supplied nuts with the bora spacers to attach the to the hub. Then you use your lug nuts to attach your wheels to the Bora spacers. Yes they are aluminum and you only have cut your stock studs for spacers less than 1.25". There is more than enough threads left over after cutting them a little. I've had them on for a few months and have had zero issues.
how often have you had to re-torque and what torque are you setting yours to? Mine havent changed since initial setup but I’m just wondering if I can start waiting until tire rotations to check or if I need to keep looking every 1000 miles or so...

F=MA

Reactions
I see so did you put a lug nut on the stud and then hacksaw the 1/4" off and then unscrew the lug nut over the cut section of the stud to re-establish the stud thread after the cut?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I see so did you put a lug nut on the stud and then hacksaw the 1/4" off and then unscrew the lug nut over the cut section of the stud to re-establish the stud thread after the cut?
I did 1.25” at all four corners. But yes, if I were to trim them, that is exactly what I would do.

what I DID do that most people will not is run a Grade 8 locknut down the studs instead of the included Bora nuts to prevent the spacers from going anywhere

Reactions
how often have you had to re-torque and what torque are you setting yours to? Mine havent changed since initial setup but I’m just wondering if I can start waiting until tire rotations to check or if I need to keep looking every 1000 miles or so...
I torqued mine to Ford specs. 150. I've only checked once and all was good.

Reactions
That's exactly what I did.

F=MA

Reactions
I did 1.25” at all four corners. But yes, if I were to trim them, that is exactly what I would do.

what I DID do that most people will not is run a Grade 8 locknut down the studs instead of the included Bora nuts to prevent the spacers from going anywhere
Seems to me you would want the same shaped lug nut with the cone shaped inner side to keep centered in the hole like the bora nuts but also adding a locking mechanism to the bola styled nut.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Seems to me you would want the same shaped lug nut with the cone shaped inner side to keep centered in the hole like the bora nuts but also adding a locking mechanism to the bola styled nut.
replied to your PM. correct. i installed such a nut--i had a buddy friction weld a nyloc head to the Borla lug nuts.

F=MA

Reactions
See the "For Sale" section for a just listed set of brand new unused custom set of Bola spacers for the Explorer ST.