Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

GPS Failure & Sync Master Reset

hbalek

Reactions
Last night while driving home I had multiple problems: Intelligent Cruise Control Not Available message, GPS Navigation lost track of my location and I was either all over the map or stuck at my origin location, FordPass didn't update my last trip and would not connect anymore to lock/unlock or start. I did several soft resets of the Sync system and the problem with GPS and FordPass still existed. The intelligent cruise issue was resolved after restart. So I was forced to do my first ever Master Reset to factory defaults of Sync. This took several tries before it took effect. The Nav maps and GPS location were restored and so was FordPass functionality. It briefly lost track of my vehicle again today but was back on track in a minute. I did notice that touch screen responsiveness is improved after the master reset. The only thing lost were my SiriusXM Presets but alert notifications for favorite artists were still stored somehow. I'll update here if any problems return or reoccur. Also, if anyone else has had similar experiences, please reply below.

Reactions
I had literally this exact thing happen to me. As opposed to a reset, I just disconnected the battery and all has been well for 2 months now.

It came out of nowhere, but I started noticing when my speedsign recognition wouldn't work anymore (because it's GPS based).

It was a weird one, for sure.

Mikeg1978

Reactions
Just had this happen to me recently. I've notice alot of people are having this problem. Did you recently update your sync? I had it at the dealer today and they ordered a antenna and a apim. We'll see if that fixes it.

Reactions
I had an issue with my Navigation not working, my GPS not working, the intelligent cruise not being able to recognize the speed signs, my WiFi hotspot not working and my Ford connect not locking and starting my vehicle. I did a major reset today and it worked. Thanks for posting your issues this kept me from going to the dealership.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I had an issue with my Navigation not working, my GPS not working, the intelligent cruise not being able to recognize the speed signs, my WiFi hotspot not working and my Ford connect not locking and starting my vehicle. I did a major reset today and it worked. Thanks for posting your issues this kept me from going to the dealership.
The only annoying thing is losing all your presets and favorites. Also it took almost 2 weeks for all the Sirius station logos to download.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only annoying thing is losing all your presets and favorites. Also it took almost 2 weeks for all the Sirius station logos to download.
When I had that happen to me I used the soft reset and it restored the GPS. No change to your settings that way. Not sure if it would solve the other issues but worth trying.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
When I had that happen to me I used the soft reset and it restored the GPS. No change to your settings that way. Not sure if it would solve the other issues but worth trying.
For me the soft reset didn't work. Hours later after arriving home from the city and restarting the vehicle and several soft resets, my maps showed I was still downtown. So I had no choice but a master reset. The other issues were resolved however after a restart.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The GPS issue happens to other products also. When I still used a Garmin it would happen once in a while. Even had it happen on my phone with Google maps.

Reactions
A soft restart did not work for me. I had to bite the bullet and lose all presets and navigation saved favorites

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
A soft restart did not work for me. I had to bite the bullet and lose all presets and navigation saved favorites
It sucks for sure. I hate doing that hard reset. Have a hard time getting it back the way I want it. I've done the soft reset mutiple times to see if I can avoid that hard reset. Had it work a few times.

Reactions
Do you know if there is a service bulletin for this issue

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not that i have seen.

Reactions
How do you do a soft or master reset? I’m having the same issue with my gps not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
How do you do a soft or master reset? I’m having the same issue with my gps not working

A soft reset is anytime you power off and restart the vehicle or when you press and hold the power and >> button down for 5 seconds, Sync resets. But a factory reset is done through vehicle settings menu.

Reactions
A soft reset is anytime you power off and restart the vehicle or when you press and hold the power and >> button down for 5 seconds, Sync resets. But a factory reset is done through vehicle settings menu.
Thanks for the info. I will try it in the morning to see it that solves the issue

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I hate to resurrect this forum... However, I began experiencing this issue before the weekend. I took my ST in for an oil change, tire rotate, etc. on Wednesday and Friday morning I noticed that my GPS was lagging behind where I actually was at and eventually displayed the no GPS symbol on the map. Almost simultaneously, I got a popup message that my intelligent cruise control wasn't available or whatever it said. I have tried three master resets and the longest it has worked was an hour.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Has any dealership recommended any fix for the issue?

Reactions
When I took mine to the dealer all they could tell me was that the reset they perform is different from the master reset that can be performed on the vehicle. They did a major reboot with their computer on my ST about 6 months ago and I have not had an issue since. The dealer said that there was no service bulletin out for the GPS failure. I think Ford is trying to ignore the problem.

PaulST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It sucks for sure. I hate doing that hard reset. Have a hard time getting it back the way I want it. I've done the soft reset mutiple times to see if I can avoid that hard reset. Had it work a few times.
I was in the same boat twice in the last year. It seems unavoidable at the moment.

Ivan_ST

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford St

How many times did you have to do the hard reset I just bought my truck 2 weeks ago and my GPS and satellite antenna in not working

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #20
How many times did you have to do the hard reset I just bought my truck 2 weeks ago and my GPS and satellite antenna in not working
Updating to the latest Sync version helps a lot with these problems. Also, I turned off breadcrumbs in Navigation settings. It causes errors and crashes and unnecessary if you're not off-roading in the wilderness.