Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Getting irritated with some of the driver assist functions

GBVx

Reactions
Overall, I am happy with everything, however sometimes some of the driver assist functions just get in my way, so to speak.

This afternoon, for example, I was backing into a space and I kept getting a proximity warning for the left rear quarter panel when there was nothing there but a shadow from the tree behind me, to the point where the car stopped me from backing up because it thought I was going to hit something, which scared the hell out of me because I thought I did.

Also, in the DC metro area, parking garages are very, very tight. So much so that essentially every time I enter one, every damn proximity alarm starts going off, forward collision and all, for absolutely no reason other than I am maneuvering in a tight space.

I wish there was a way to lower the sensitivity or threshold as to when my car goes to red alert mode.

Reactions
I have similar issues in garages, the camera mode helps but the beeping is distracting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I turned off the lane keep assist, collision warning and adaptive cruise. I would love to have a fully autonomous self-driving car. I also REALLY enjoy driving myself. but to have some bastardized, hybridized version of semi-autonomous is terrible. That stuff just screws me up and I actually pay attention when I drive so I do not need or want the "assistance".

OP
GBVx

GBVx

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Living in the DC area, the adaptive CC is actually pretty fantastic. Like the ACC, which you can set the follow distance, I wish you could set the "alarm distance" for the other sensors. Yes, I know I am 4cm from the pillar in the parking garage, there is nothing I can do about it, stop yelling at me.

ExplorSt

Reactions
Mine does the same driver side mirror sensor keeps beeping thats something its real close and its clear as the sky, and lately been having issue with my rear camera put in reverse and don't see nothing but only blue screen on my 360 ican see front sides except rear camera its blue gonna be taking it to the dealer see whats the deal...

KegsBdry

Reactions
The AUTO BRAKING when backing up does scare the hell out of you. I've heard that from a few people in the ST Experience. But it happened to me when backing out of my own garage. I thought I hit something and was pissed to find out it was nothing. I think i would have been more pissed if i actually did hit something, but it's still too sensitive.

I enjoy using the Intelligent Driving Assist on Cruise Control. But the constant beeping when the lines aren't always there takes my eyes off the road far too much. Besides changing my Cruise Control to Adaptive, how do stop the beeping? Forescan. Nope, not this early in the warranty.

hbalek

Reactions
The AUTO BRAKING when backing up does scare the hell out of you. I've heard that from a few people in the ST Experience. But it happened to me when backing out of my own garage. I thought I hit something and was pissed to find out it was nothing. I think i would have been more pissed if i actually did hit something, but it's still too sensitive.

I enjoy using the Intelligent Driving Assist on Cruise Control. But the constant beeping when the lines aren't always there takes my eyes off the road far too much. Besides changing my Cruise Control to Adaptive, how do stop the beeping? Forescan. Nope, not this early in the warranty.
My reverse brake assist went off 3 times today and scared the crap out of me. To be fair, I was backing up really fast in the rain and there were obstacles nearby. It is too damn sensitive but like you said, I was relieved that I didn't actually hit something!

Last edited:
Reactions
I tried to use the automatic parking to back into my tight driveway on my tiny street but I freaked out and stopped it as I was between my neighbors new Maserati and my wife's beloved Lexus...

Someday.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

KegsBdry

Reactions
I tried to use the automatic parking to back into my tight driveway on my tiny street but I freaked out and stopped it as I was between my neighbors new Maserati and my wife's beloved Lexus...

Someday.

Dennis.

It auto backs in faster than you're allowed to do yourself (auto braking is too sensitive, read above). I'd drive to a parking lot and practice using the auto parking system. You can use the brake to slow it down.

But honestly, it has helped me get into spots that's hard to see or gauge. The biggest fault is all the setup & how long it takes. By the time I get the system to read the spot and start the parking process, someone has already stolen my parking space. :rolleyes:

db6

Reactions
does auto park only work between cars? I've tried to have it perpendicular park into my house garage, but it doesn't recognize the garage as a paking space. My garage door is about 8 inches wider than the mirrors, it would be nice if it parked itself

Reactions
Some dummy parked a few inches across my driveway and as I backed up with my head out the window and had 4-5" clearance on the driver side the auto braking slammed on the brakes *after* my rear fender already passed the other cars front bumper.

The manual says to hit the gas firmly to overcome the auto braking but that's hard when backing into a tight space and not wanting to hit the garage door... I guess I'll just have to find a safe place to practice that.

Dennis.

KegsBdry

Reactions
does auto park only work between cars? I've tried to have it perpendicular park into my house garage, but it doesn't recognize the garage as a paking space. My garage door is about 8 inches wider than the mirrors, it would be nice if it parked itself
The sensors work a lot better between cars. I haven't heard of anyone using it to get into a garage parking spot.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Some dummy parked a few inches across my driveway and as I backed up with my head out the window and had 4-5" clearance on the driver side the auto braking slammed on the brakes *after* my rear fender already passed the other cars front bumper.

The manual says to hit the gas firmly to overcome the auto braking but that's hard when backing into a tight space and not wanting to hit the garage door... I guess I'll just have to find a safe place to practice that.

Dennis.

There should be an AUTO BRAKING sensor dial to adjust the sensitivity. But if you're slow enough in reverse, it doesn't kick in. Which is a change for me because I reverse very confidently.

Reactions
There should be an AUTO BRAKING sensor dial to adjust the sensitivity. But if you're slow enough in reverse, it doesn't kick in. Which is a change for me because I reverse very confidently.
I am guessing you mean there SHOULD be an adjustment but there isn't one, as one isn't mentioned in the manual. The manual also says if you are going less than a certain (1.7?) MPH it won't kick in but I was inching by the blocking car and it still kicked in pretty hard... Maybe my idea of slow is the same as yours ;-).

I did it 3 times in a row before I increased my distance a couple inches and I could pass.

Dennis.

Blackssr

Reactions
I turn all of that crap off have no interest in it. The only benefit is my insurance is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than my previous Ford without them.

Reactions
I turn all of that crap off have no interest in it. The only benefit is my insurance is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than my previous Ford without them.

Amen. Turn that shit off always. Even the parking sensors now. I found it was too distracting having the car scream at me for being too close to something when I was trying to park. Car doesn’t understand I was driving 19 years before it was built lol

hbalek

Reactions
Amen. Turn that shit off always. Even the parking sensors now. I found it was too distracting having the car scream at me for being too close to something when I was trying to park. Car doesn’t understand I was driving 19 years before it was built lol
And while you're at it they should remove all guard rails!

Reactions
My reverse brake assist went off 3 times today and scared the crap out of me. To be fair, I was backing up really fast in the rain and there were obstacles nearby. It is too damn sensitive but like you said, I was relieved that I didn't actually hit something!
I've actually done a couple WTF?! jump outs. Was very windy both times.

pbltus

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
How do you turn all of that off????