Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Gearhead Tuned ~ 21' ST

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
1628458707727.png
I still haven't been able to get times on the ST but I did get my wife to create a data log for me today on the E30 Tune. I might get a dragy run tomorrow AM. So far she is hovering around 22psi WOT. Blue line is the Wastegate percentage. In all ST feels pretty quick and the tune looks pretty modest when I look through logs, she definitely has more powah to give! I have the XDI pump laying that I still need to install. I guess after that its time for turbos, I wonder if the Garret 25660 turbos could fit??

Attachments

Reactions
Any drone with that exhaust?

I like the look of it and they are only about an hour and 15 minutes from me.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
No drone at all. It Sounds like a million dollar sports car. I never thought a V6 could sound so bad ass. It has some beautiful sounds you won’t be disappointed. My wife describes it as a purring panther when cruising.

Not to mention it’s cheaper installed than a nice off the shelf unit like the Thermal brand exhaust by itself.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s cheaper because it’s aluminized vs 304 stainless. I shopped them also and they were substantially higher than $1400 for dual 3” stainless.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
It’s cheaper because it’s aluminized vs 304 stainless. I shopped them also and they were substantially higher than $1400 for dual 3” stainless.
What were you quoted??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
North of $2K for dual 3” mandrel bent stainless. That’s why I built my own.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Ya know, it kinda kills me that I never confirmed if it was stainless in the beginning. I have too many projects going on at once, doh! O well, luckily Centex doesn’t have corrosion or rust issues without being Arizona.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ya know, it kinda kills me that I never confirmed if it was stainless in the beginning. I have too many projects going on at once, doh! O well, luckily Centex doesn’t have corrosion or rust issues without being Arizona.

They paint their aluminized systems and yours is painted.

Reactions
Meh. Millions of cars come from the factory with an aluminized exhaust every year. I mean the factory exhaust is an aluminized exhaust. They seem to hold up well enough. Probably hold up much longer than most of us will own these vehicles.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Meh. Millions of cars come from the factory with an aluminized exhaust every year. I mean the factory exhaust is an aluminized exhaust. They seem to hold up well enough. Probably hold up much longer than most of us will own these vehicles.
The factory exhaust is stainless.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
Yup the factory is in fact stainless. I will be curious what it looks like in a year. I’m not too worried since I don’t live by the Gulf and wash the car pretty regular. I’m not the fanboy type so if I have issues with the exhaust I will certainly post them here!

I hindsight I might have splurged on the stainless had I realized but I’m not worried because the sound is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I highly doubt you’ll ever have a single issue. They’re a reputable place that does top notch work.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
I highly doubt you’ll ever have a single issue. They’re a reputable place that does top notch work.
I thought about doing it myself, I did my own exhaust on my SHO but I could never get it to sound right. Since my wife drives this thing to patient houses I didn’t want it sound like a rabid pack of Honda’s for a couple days or a week if w/e I came up with didn’t sound right. I totally took the easy way out this time around!

It’s a real shame how terrible the factory system is. Ford really needs to redesign the flex-tube situation - it’s so damn weak! Not to mention w/e they have going after that section.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thats surprising to me that on a fairly mass market vehicle Ford would pony up for stainless over aluminized.
Pretty much every car on the market is at least 409 stainless. I haven’t seen a factory aluminized exhaust in decades.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It has been a long time since automakers used aluminized steel exhaust. Most of them use 409 stainless. There might be a few cheapo cars I'm not aware of, but that went out in the 90's.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #37

So it’s been awhile since I posted about Explorer ST and this is why!

We have her back and I just couldn’t help making a couple dragy runs :)

I’ll get some better runs in before I install the XDI pump and Turbos.

MrBoom_5.0

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I saw you post up in the sweet rides group today. You're close!

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #39
I love that group. Side note, I plan on taking the ST to Little River as much as possible next season. It would be cool to see another one :)

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #40

Made a little exhaust video.

I might go out to a 1/8 mile no prep track tonight, should be fun!

Explorer ST Posts