Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel Grade

Reactions
Hi folks;

As a prospective owner of one of these vehicles I've been doing my homework and trying to figure out everything I can about them, but the one thing I so far haven't been quite 100% clear on is what grade of fuel they are supposed to run.

Experience makes me want to think that it is going to be one of those vehicles that "recommends" premium, but I've also seen some other things online that suggest it both can, and is recommended to, run on regular grade.

Can anyone confirm for me what the actual official recommendation is, and also what real-life owners have been running and the results of their choices? Any info is appreciated.

Off to talk some turkey with my local Ford dealership tomorrow!

Reactions
Ford says 87 if you don't mind sacrificing a little bit of hp. I've run both 87 and 90+ and didn't notice any difference in normal driving.

Reactions
From the manual:

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing.

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, refer to www.toptiergas.com.

OP
KNTRDR
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Wow. I'm surprised by the 87, considering the power and the twin turbocharging. It would be interesting to test out the two fuel grades in the hot weather, as that excerpt seems to suggest, and see if there's an appreciable difference.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Reactions
I'm currently @ 4,00 mi and without a stopwatch, I can't really tell the difference in performance. Sure, if I knew I wanted max hp, I'd be on 93 octane.

But...has anybody run tests on which octane produces the best MPG? Or is there even a difference?

Reactions
Reactions
Oh there is definitely a difference. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks per fill for 93. Keep the motor in constant state of reduced boost and timing is waste of what you paid for....400hp.

Reactions

TJST

Reactions
When I was little kid I remember an old Irish guy saying , “ If ya can’t afford da gas, don’t buy da car.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I'm not looking for an argument, guys. Normally, I run the 93, but I have a 3,000 mi. trip, pulling 5,600 lbs. At 65 mph., she gets 7+ mpg. Call it 8, and that's 375 gal @ $0.40 per = $150.
Since there's zero appreciable difference in MPG, and it will not hurt the mechanics, I'll run 87 on the trip. And I'll be in Tow/Haul mode anyway..:(
...and pouring almost a whole bottle of XR21 down the drain is just wrong!

Thanks for the FordAuthority article; just what I wanted.

PJ

Reactions
If you’re ever going to use premium it’s when you’re towing or driving hard. Higher octane means less chance of detonation. Detonation occurs at higher throttle settings under boost and although there’s knock sensors that will adjust the timing and AFR, I’d play it safe and use premium while towing....that’s just me.

Reactions
Contrary to what the manual says, I've only been using premium.