Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Front end knock

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I've found several threads on various knocks up front and so far none of them have been the fix for me. It sounds like what a loose sway bar would sound like, but no joy. What I think I found is the front drive shaft has some play in it. When pushed forward it makes a knock sound that may be what I'm hearing from inside. I have seen drive shafts that have play but never one that actually knocks when hitting the end of play. Is the play normal and if so should it make noise when moving? Maybe spline joint has issues? TIA

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
I’ve read somewhere else that they had a strut making the sound. We have the same sound on front passenger. It’s not even a consistent knock but I hear it off and on but always after a bump

OP
JCR ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Still haven't found mine. (not really any different over speed bumps)
Removed sway bar, same noise. Wrapped a piece of wire insulation in front drive shaft joint to minimize forward/back movement for test, no change. Pushed/pulled on everything I can get hold of, nothing seems loose.
Friend described noise "it sounds like a 4x4 block of wood hanging from a string banging around down there."
Thinking about buying/borrowing "chassis ears" to locate.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Probably the strut top hat going bad or the top nut on the strut shaft isn’t tight.

OP
JCR ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
It was in fact the passenger side strut! All better now. Thanks all!

Explorer ST Posts