Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Forscan tutorial?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I'm thinking about delving into the world of forscan as there a few things I would like to change. Is there a tutorial out there so I can learn how to use it? I would like to remove the FENG, turn off the double honk, and extend the run time on the remote start.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd start with some YouTube videos. You can exclude a lot of hassle by avoiding generic adapters and going for one that the Forscan team recommends like the OBDLink EX or MX+. Then there's no better way to learn than to just go and do it. Start with something safe like backing up your module AsBuilt data.

There are two ways to make configuration changes. I'd recommend the newer way where the option is specified in wording and you merely change the setting (usually enable/disable). The older way is to change numbers in specific lines of the modules AsBuilt format.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unfortunately I didn't save links but I found a few docs online that help. PM me with your email and I'll gladly send them.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I ordered the OBDLink EX and installed the latest version of forscan V 2.3.46

Any know where to find what module to look under to these various items I would like to change
1. FENG
2. double honk---DONE
3. hyperflash
4. bambi mode---DONE

Last edited:
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I finally got forscan registered, had to jump thru a few hoops to get it working. Turns out my primary email is on the banned list at forscan. My email lists forscan as spam so it won't allow emails from that domain thru. After I figured it out I had to re-register thru my gmail acct.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
I played around with forscan a little today, did not want do anything to critical. I found the double honk, and bambi mode and changed them to what I wanted and tested them and they worked. I also found the heated windshield and enabled it. It was under the HVAC module. This past Saturday I had safelight replace my windshield and the new one has the heating element embedded in the bottom of the glass and a pigtail hanging off. So now that I have the right windshield and its enabled in forscan, I just need to find the harness connector and plug it in.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I played around with forscan a little today, did not want do anything to critical. I found the double honk, and bambi mode and changed them to what I wanted and tested them and they worked. I also found the heated windshield and enabled it. It was under the HVAC module. This past Saturday I had safelight replace my windshield and the new one has the heating element embedded in the bottom of the glass and a pigtail hanging off. So now that I have the right windshield and its enabled in forscan, I just need to find the harness connector and plug it in.
what adapter did you use? I’ve been really wanting to dive into the forscan world but have been worried about screwing something up.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Look at post #4 it was 59.95 on amazon

Last edited:
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I found out today that forscan does not like tuned vehicles. Mine is tuned and it said it could not access the vehicle. It asked for the P/N of the computer under the hood and I typed in the #'s just as it is printed and I still could not get in. I eventually had to put the ST back to stock, then load forscan, then put the tune back on when I was done.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I thought you were able to read your modules based on what you wrote in post #6. I don't know if it's because of the HPTuners, but I have Livernois and have no problems doing configuration changes and running service procedures without flashing back to stock.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
I did read the modules, after I went back to stock. I have tunes from 5 star and I use an X-cal 4. After I was done with forscan, I loaded my tune from 5* back on. I think I'll get a tune from ZFG and a Whipple FMIC when I get my quarterly profit sharing. Anyone know for sure if ZFG tunes are compatible with forscan?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
2B6CCDE0-E6BE-4702-9330-39ABA84D4D64.jpeg 562650BC-3DA3-46B8-94B9-3AD87E01158B.jpeg
Took a quick look at my windshield wiper park heater grid. You can clearly see two fat tracings at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side. There are ribbon cables immediately below, underneath the battery compartment cowling, that attaches to something behind the battery. Sorry, but that's about all i am willing to look into it for you. you would need to remove the battery to see what else is there.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Yeah that's what my new windshield looks like too. I wanted to play around with forscan today after work, maybe some other day I'll pull the battery and see if I can find the other side of the connector.

Reactions
in case anyone is interested , I just bought the oblink ex off of the scantools website instead of amazon and used coupon code 'RCDECUMX' , got 11 bucks off

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I ordered the whipple FMIC today from 5 star tuning. I bought from them because I have tunes from them and they offer free tune updates as long as you buy the parts from them.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
in case anyone is interested , I just bought the oblink ex off of the scantools website instead of amazon and used coupon code 'RCDECUMX' , got 11 bucks off
Me too :)

Edit: & according to the notice I got today, it's being shipped by Amazon.. which doesn't inspire confidence as three of the recent four returns were because the stuff I bought got damaged during shipping... which includes two socket sets that showed evidence of having been run over & a box of halogen bulbs that had been crushed...

Last edited:

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Getting started..
#4: Start The Engine
Make sure engine goes "prrrrrrrr"

LOL!!

Reactions
Yeah that's what my new windshield looks like too. I wanted to play around with forscan today after work, maybe some other day I'll pull the battery and see if I can find the other side of the connector.
Did you ever see if the windshield is connected? My new windshield has the lines in it too. I took a quick look but didn't see the end of the wire that goes behind battery.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Yeah, last Saturday I pulled out the battery and battery tray and no the other end of the harness is not there. I would either have to make a stand alone circuit or tie it into the heated mirrors to get it to work.

Reactions
Yeah, last Saturday I pulled out the battery and battery tray and no the other end of the harness is not there. I would either have to make a stand alone circuit or tie it into the heated mirrors to get it to work.
Gotcha , I have a 2020, I'm not even gonna bother pulling the battery then. Thx