Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Forscan Auto Start/Stop turn off?

Reactions
I drove some more today. It's been about 100 miles since I did the Forscan change. So far it's good, but I have a feeling it will suddenly start ASSing again in a week or two.

I'll check back in a few weeks with updates.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
I bought my 2020 recently and I assumed they had a start stop eliminator installed as AS/S never engaged for the first 2 weeks or so. I started fiddling with the AS/S console button to see if it did anything. And now AS/S comes on randomly, probably once every 10 drives.

I checked under steering wheel shroud and didn't have the dongle. Got a Forscan last week and tonight checked the PSCM codes and it is already set to 00. Guy who had this before me may have been aware of the F150 forums. Either way, it doesn't seem 100% off, I think you can still push the AS/S button and it might reset values for a while.

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It's reported that vehicles with seemingly good batteries (read not causing known problems), although their condition may be marginal report random start-stop performance.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
It's reported that vehicles with seemingly good batteries (read not causing known problems), although their condition may be marginal report random start-stop performance.
Agree. Coming from many previous VW/Audi's, a low battery or aging battery causes all sorts of issues that seem unrelated to battery health.

Reactions
I drove some more today. It's been about 100 miles since I did the Forscan change. So far it's good, but I have a feeling it will suddenly start ASSing again in a week or two.

I'll check back in a few weeks with updates.
It's been a few hundred miles, my auto stop/start has not re-enabled itself. I have also never pressed the button at all to toggle it.

Seems like this is a pretty good solution.

Reactions
It's been a few hundred miles, my auto stop/start has not re-enabled itself. I have also never pressed the button at all to toggle it.

Seems like this is a pretty good solution.
It's been about 2k miles, still no sign of ASS returning.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not saying the forscan change didn’t work, but I will add that the system is quite sensitive to battery voltage and if your battery is anywhere near less than 100% capacity, it’s eliminates that feature.

Reactions
Not saying the forscan change didn’t work, but I will add that the system is quite sensitive to battery voltage and if your battery is anywhere near less than 100% capacity, it’s eliminates that feature.
It’s easy to tell if it’s working or not just by looking at the ASS button on the console. If it’s lit up, ASS is off. If it stays lit up after the next ignition cycle, then it is remembering the last setting, so it is working in that case. If it’s not lit up after the next cycle, it isn’t remembering the setting, so it’s not working. If it’s not lit up and there are no stop/starts, then yes, the battery isn’t fully charged, or the AC or heater needs the engine running.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s easy to tell if it’s working or not just by looking at the ASS button on the console. If it’s lit up, ASS is off. If it stays lit up after the next ignition cycle, then it is remembering the last setting, so it is working in that case. If it’s not lit up after the next cycle, it isn’t remembering the setting, so it’s not working. If it’s not lit up and there are no stop/starts, then yes, the battery isn’t fully charged, or the AC or heater needs the engine running.
Oh yeah good point. I’ve nearly forgotten about the button since my start stop hasn’t worked in over 6 months. But yeah that makes sense.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
just de-tuned and the car shut its self off. Scared the shit out of me thinking someone bumped me.

Reactions
I haven't done any testing with the AC or heat. I feel like one of those is always on in my car. I think I remember ASS working (as intended) independent of any AC or heat.

Just to double check, I will try driving with the HVAC completely off and see if ASS happens.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I had completely forgotten about the AC circuit when I posted earlier. It does indeed affect when the ASS functions. Heat is probably far less of a problem than AC which requires the engine to be running.

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I did the change posted above in the PSCM to disable Auto Stop Start on a brand new 2023 and it's been disabled ever since. I've combed numerous vin's from 2022 XLTs with the 2.3 eco, which where the only ones that came in 2022 with the option to not have ASS installed. That option matches what's in those PSCMs so it's fair to say it's going to work permanently.

Basically, one of the features of the ASS is that it won't engage if it detects that there's a steering event happening, like you're at a traffic light and you slightly turn the wheel, the engine will turn back on. So if the PSCM option is turned off, it just doesn't send a signal to the PCM anymore, so it's default option is to just keep the engine on. That's it.

Reactions
I just tested with the HVAC off, no change. The ASS off icon is still there. Looks like the fix is good!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I did the change posted above in the PSCM to disable Auto Stop Start on a brand new 2023 and it's been disabled ever since. I've combed numerous vin's from 2022 XLTs with the 2.3 eco, which where the only ones that came in 2022 with the option to not have ASS installed. That option matches what's in those PSCMs so it's fair to say it's going to work permanently.

Basically, one of the features of the ASS is that it won't engage if it detects that there's a steering event happening, like you're at a traffic light and you slightly turn the wheel, the engine will turn back on. So if the PSCM option is turned off, it just doesn't send a signal to the PCM anymore, so it's default option is to just keep the engine on. That's it.
That seems like a good hack- I saw the posts from @jwuonog where he did this and followed the liink. After nearly three years of seeing people try different things in Forescan, it's great that someone figured it out. It makes perfect sense that the need for the power steering pump (driven by the engine) would affect the behavior. This also brings up the other things that affect ASS, such as A/C. Perhaps there might also be a hack there?

That being said, I can't help but wonder if there might be some unintended consequences.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
It makes perfect sense that the need for the power steering pump (driven by the engine) would affect the behavior..
Am I missing something here or did we switch vehicles to one that does not have electric power steering?

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Am I missing something here or did we switch vehicles to one that does not have electric power steering?
No switches, it was probably just a mistake. Still electric.

Reactions
I'm just speculating here...I don't know the full logic or circuit behind how this change in Forscan works to prevent auto stop start. I think the PSCM change in Forscan is basically telling the car that some kind of steering event is happening, which will require the power steering pump to stay active, which will prevent ASS from turning on.

Interestingly, if I turn on the lane assist and adaptive cruise control, it still asks for input from the steering wheel.

Either way, I'm happy that it's still working for me. I took a 200 mile round trip today with my family and in-laws with lots of stop and go traffic. Not a single ASS event.

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just did it on my 2020. I'll let you know soon if it worked...
Can you post the exact values you have changed?
before and after values in the module.

I tried and did not work

Reactions
Can you post the exact values you have changed?
before and after values in the module.

I tried and did not work
Pretty sure it was this that did the trick:

PSCM 730-01-02 xxxx xxxx **--

**: 00=Auto Start/Stop Disabled 01=Auto Start/Stop Enabled, Angle Inhibit Enabled 02=Auto Start/Stop Enabled, Angle Inhibit Disabled

I think i tried everything else prior to no avail too. Not sure if the combination of everything is what made it work (I can't remember what the other parameters were).