Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford's Plan for Fixing Quality - CEO Reponds

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
A sign of leadership is owning up to mistakes and working on game plan to fix them instead of making excuses or pushing them off to the next CEO. Pushing problems down to dealership and sales reps was never sustainable and Ford seems to have a good game plan for setting itself up to be able to compete, for consumer and shareholder expectations for excellence. The next couple of years will be interesting to see how their quality fixes unfold. "You have to set up a culture shift, a performance reward system where every engineering manager, purchasing component manager, every plant manager is fully accountable for the quality and cost of their work. We're still not at the world-class levels that, not only our customers expect, but, more importantly, what we expect out of ourselves." CEO - Jim Farley

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/15/ford-jim-farley-quality-issues

Launch and Line Quality Changes:
  • "We have a 25-mile pre-delivery quality shakedown" — where employees drive the vehicle 25 miles and scrutinize its performance as a customer might — "and we drove 28,000 Super Dutys, and 100 more each day to assure quality of the product. We pre-drove every vehicle to find any kind of defect.
  • "We now have added higher mileage, real-world testing during the launch. We have tripled the number of trucks in trailer towing tests, which is really critical to Super Duty. That's nearly four times as many as we typically do in our durability testing.
  • "We now have a lot more quality checks on the product line in both (factory) locations. We've added now AI (artificial intelligence) on the line to catch quality issues that aren't visible to the human eye.
  • "Simply put, you are not going to see us launch product until it meets or exceeds the highest quality standards that we've ever had. This is what we're doing for all vehicles, like we're going through now for (the new) Mustang and other upcoming exciting products."
Owning Up to Problems & Culture:
  • "For our management team, quality is our No. 1 priority. And our overall quality today is improving. However, we're still not at the world-class levels that, not only our customers expect, but, more importantly, what we expect out of ourselves."
  • "We are starting to see our initial quality improve markedly in North America. We're taking a range of actions, as you would expect, to eliminate any defects in the first place. And we are totally focused on finding and fixing issues that do come up. The way we portray this inside the company is, we always want to put quality first because that's the most fundamental commitment to our customers, and our customers, we want to treat like family."
  • "It requires a lot of end-to-end changes, from our supply chain, our manufacturing and engineering system, to the way we test, and also the way we find root cause and solve that across all the different disciplines in the industrial system. I want to give you maybe an example of what's changing at Ford, what we do differently."
Great Quote from Farley:
"The capability atrophied in engineering, supply chain and manufacturing at Ford," Farley said.

Having worked in the auto industry I have had the pleasure of working with former Ford folks and great talent is there, just matter of unleashing it in the right way. This industry is a pressure cooker, but customer feedback is gold that helps drive innovation and a higher standard of quality. As owners, keep your expectations high and keep providing feedback to Ford, it matters. The adults in the room at Ford appreciate it.

Reactions
Well listen Jim, charging people a premium for a “B&O” upgraded sound system that is just fake branded paper crap isn’t a good look. On top of that, it rattles to all hell. It shouldn’t take some employee driving a vehicle 25 miles to figure this out…

Reactions
Farley absolutely sucks - period. His ideas and agendas are not inline with the buyers. The arrogance of his electrification push onto buyers and the subsequent failure of electrification has been comical to watch. He is purely reactionary and has nothing under his leadership for anyone to hang their hats on. A good, or a great leader, would have made sure all the problems surrounding Ford right now, didn't happen in the first place. He's like Biden and the border, its such a train wreck that he has no choice but to finally acknowledge it publicly. I cannot understand how he is still in the position he is in to this day.

Reactions
Farley absolutely sucks - period. His ideas and agendas are not inline with the buyers. The arrogance of his electrification push onto buyers and the subsequent failure of electrification has been comical to watch. He is purely reactionary and has nothing under his leadership for anyone to hang their hats on. A good, or a great leader, would have made sure all the problems surrounding Ford right now, didn't happen in the first place. He's like Biden and the border, its such a train wreck that he has no choice but to finally acknowledge it publicly. I cannot understand how he is still in the position he is in to this day.
Yeah, the asshat needs to be fired. Should have happened long ago.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
You have a very negative culture at Chicago Assembly. Its the complete opposite to any Japanese Plant even the ones in North America. I don't see that changing soon. After the George Floyd Fentanyl overdose fiasco the Police Interceptor Utility production was completely slowed because the internal sabotage was so bad every PIU had to be taken to the TDM Mod Center and given a complete second QC before it was shipped. This may actually still be done given some of the current problems.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Chicago plant was a long term client of mine. Everything you hear about it is true. Complete shit show during and after the riots. I am amazed I have had so few issues with my 22 given my experiences there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
And then there is their F1 sponsorship with Rebull, that money would have been better spent fixing their house. Hopefully they use the current RB issues to cancel the agreement and save face before their branded power units start blowing up in 2026....

Reactions
And then there is their F1 sponsorship with Rebull, that money would have been better spent fixing their house. Hopefully they use the current RB issues to cancel the agreement and save face before their branded power units start blowing up in 2026....
The only issue Red Bull has is Max's father. Farley should have kept his nose out of the situation.

Explorer ST Posts