Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FordPass not connecting, modem not working

Reactions
Gave it another try today.
It tells me it can't find the modem when I try to turn on the hotspot... (at the same time it's using wifi to check for updates)

It has Sync 3 (V3.4) & 21194

I should have stuck with my F350 LB/CC Dually with the 460CJ under the hood.
This Is the same problem I had, your TCU is bad. Was replaced no issues since.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
This Is the same problem I had, your TCU is bad. Was replaced no issues since.
Ford dealer told me "your modem is deactivated" (they also told me it's had the trans out for a gasket replacement in the bellhousing at some point... which AutoNation flat out lied about)

Ford Connect told me "take it to the dealer & tell them SM50251, that will wake it up"

Reactions
Ford dealer told me "your modem is deactivated" (they also told me it's had the trans out for a gasket replacement in the bellhousing at some point... which AutoNation flat out lied about)

Ford Connect told me "take it to the dealer & tell them SM50251, that will wake it up"
They tried that , still led to a replacement…took 3 different visits to get resolved

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
There was another guy in the service dept listing a litany of electrical issues. I looked out the window expecting to see another ST, but he was driving a new Expedition. He was on first name terms with the service dept guys..

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Called AutoNation... That didn't go well. The first time I spoke with someone & when she put me on hold she put me through to someones voicemail that was too full to take any messages instead

*click* redial...

Second call..
Service drone wants us to drop the ST off for three days.... Asked why is takes three days to do a software upgrade.
"It's because we're backed up & it will take us three days to get to it"
So it's going to sit there for two days because you're busy?
Yes
So we get a loaner for three days... right?
Yes, but our loaners are booked up until the end of the month.. So we'll have to schedule it for next month
ok, what days do you want it?
Let me check
(I get put on hold)

Oh, we no longer do loaners.
You don't? So how can your non-existent loaners be booked up until the end of the month?
We can do you a discounted price on a rental
Unacceptable, what happened to your loaners?
I don't know

Going to be in the area on Monday.. They'll be explaining why they lied about the transmission gasket deal to my face.

Reactions
Called AutoNation... That didn't go well. The first time I spoke with someone & when she put me on hold she put me through to someones voicemail that was too full to take any messages instead

*click* redial...

Second call..
Service drone wants us to drop the ST off for three days.... Asked why is takes three days to do a software upgrade.
"It's because we're backed up & it will take us three days to get to it"
So it's going to sit there for two days because you're busy?
Yes
So we get a loaner for three days... right?
Yes, but our loaners are booked up until the end of the month.. So we'll have to schedule it for next month
ok, what days do you want it?
Let me check
(I get put on hold)

Oh, we no longer do loaners.
You don't? So how can your non-existent loaners be booked up until the end of the month?
We can do you a discounted price on a rental
Unacceptable, what happened to your loaners?
I don't know

Going to be in the area on Monday.. They'll be explaining why they lied about the transmission gasket deal to my face.
I honestly can say I have had my explorer a few days over a year now. It has only been in for the backup camera recall and the TCU (modem\wifi) other than that no issues. I do have a 2021, not sure which year you have with out looking back at your posts.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm going to count myself extremely lucky. I've documented having a couple of intermittent electrical gremlins- lights staying on (once), liftgate opening halfway, (twice) and once the liftgate opening when I shut the driver's door. But two years now and not a single other issue.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I honestly can say I have had my explorer a few days over a year now. It has only been in for the backup camera recall and the TCU (modem\wifi) other than that no issues. I do have a 2021, not sure which year you have with out looking back at your posts.
It's a 2020 with a November 2019 build date.... & didn't get sold to the first owner until Sept 2020... which in itself is somewhat suspect. I've managed to find the original owner with my amazing Google-Fu. I've sent him a msg on FB.

I think AutoNation reneged on the loaner deal when they saw our ESP has the discounted rental deal ($60 for 10 days).

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Adding on here... My 2020 ST has a modem unresponsive. Purchased the car used from a Ford Dealer, and than I proceeded to call Ford Support, and they mentioned that. Currently, it is in for replacement, and programming is covered for free by them. They stated it's a same-day fix.

Update 4/17 - Dealership ordered the parts, and they'll be here 2-3 weeks due to shortages. They mentioned that the Modem was attempted to be flashed software wise, but it wasn't able to work.

Last edited: