Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FordPass not connecting, modem not working

Ibecker11

Reactions
Hey everyone. New ST owner, picked up mine last week. It seems that my modem doesn’t connect, so no services will work. I couldn’t really care about remote start/stop, but really wanted the hotspot. I’m bringing it in to the dealer on Wednesday, but figured if anyone might have suggestions, I’d be open to trying. So far I’ve performed a master reset, as well as a FordPass reset. Here is what I see when viewing the hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
As an experience designer the duplication of icons and mismatching status icons infuriates me. Could be my OCD.

OP
I

Ibecker11

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
As an experience designer the duplication of icons and mismatching status icons infuriates me. Could be my OCD.

Can’t disagree with that.

Update, went to my dealership and they ran an upgrade that took 90 minutes, only to realize it is a faulty modem and they are ordering a replacement that they get the correct one.

Reactions
Yep, my modem went out as well. You may have to delete your Fordpass app, and re load once the modem is changed out. Ford pass tech line was pretty easy to deal with.

OP
I

Ibecker11

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yep, my modem went out as well. You may have to delete your Fordpass app, and re load once the modem is changed out. Ford pass tech line was pretty easy to deal with.
We’re they able to swap it out correctly, or was it a huge back and forth process? I’m really looking to use the hotspot specifically. They said it’s about a full day to replace because of the time to run the software updates too.

Reactions
Pretty much plug and play. Svc mgr and I checked it out long distance. I would start and shut off from my office. He would take out on the highway to determine if it picked up the new location. Everything reset easily once I reloaded fordpass

OP
I

Ibecker11

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Pretty much plug and play. Svc mgr and I checked it out long distance. I would start and shut off from my office. He would take out on the highway to determine if it picked up the new location. Everything reset easily once I reloaded fordpass
Good to know they can get it for me soon. I had a Durango before this and they had a similar subscription service to remotely start/stop and WiFi. I liked the fact that I could ping the vehicle location, so when I travel, I know my car hasn’t been taken.

OP
I

Ibecker11

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Still waiting for a new APIM, on back order as far as they know, and no expected date for replacement yet

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Been faffing about with this crap all goddamn day.
First (phone) issue: Doesn't allow you to save the user name & password so you have to type it all out every time you log on.

Final (phone) issue: Doesn't allow you to save the user name & password so you have to type it all out every time you log on. Done with it.

Also: Couldn't get the ST to log on to Ford Connect all day, yet while it was telling me it couldn't log on, it logged on to download an update.

Yet it tells me it can find our wifi & log on.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
More faffery... went to the dealer. guy came out & faffed with it. Discovered the Ford Connect etc was still controlled by the previous owners phone. He did a reset & got it seemingly working.. two hours later it's back to square one again... but at least now we know the modem works.

He did mention possibly needing a "master reset" which I'm not even sure about. Anyone care to clue me in?

Previous owner was Christine... how apt...

Cell phone gave a msg about a "12v charging fault".. so SOMETHING is connecting

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
“Master Reset” is an option in the SYNC menu. Just poke around till you find it. It deletes everything previous and starts fresh will all factory defaults.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Found it, did it, didn't accomplish a damn thing except lose all the radio presets & nav favorites (which was expected)

While I was trying to get the Ford Connect thing working it blocked me from doing so with a msg that someone else was already trying to do so... Somewhat bizarre.

Cell phone also got an alert about a restraint lamp malfunction of some sort... along with another dozen or so saying it couldn't connect to Ford Connect & try again later.. which is what the car has been telling us for a week...

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Found it, did it, didn't accomplish a damn thing except lose all the radio presets & nav favorites (which was expected)

While I was trying to get the Ford Connect thing working it blocked me from doing so with a msg that someone else was already trying to do so... Somewhat bizarre.

Cell phone also got an alert about a restraint lamp malfunction of some sort... along with another dozen or so saying it couldn't connect to Ford Connect & try again later.. which is what the car has been telling us for a week...
Two things I can think of.
1. Check your SYNC version. The latest is 21194 that solved a lot of issues.
2. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Ford Pass. That helped me a couple of times.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Will do, it will probably be on Monday before I get back to it as I'm taking the Kaw 1100 out tomorrow.

Reactions
I had a simalar issue and it was the onboard LTE modem that needed to be replaced. You also can verify the LTE modem , by turning your vehicles hotspot off then back on. If you get a error turning it back on the LTE modem is likely bad.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Not using the hotspot option as we have Verizon & won't be giving 1c to AT&T.

Reactions
Not using the hotspot option as we have Verizon & won't be giving 1c to AT&T.
No need to activate a actual account, just toggle the setting on and off. Ford pass uses the LTE modem to communicate with the ford servers. If the setting will not turn back on or gives you a error the module could be bad.

Last edited:

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Haven't messed with it for a few days.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Two weeks & counting, managed to get the phone synced with the ST on Saturday after about 8 attempts.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Gave it another try today.
It tells me it can't find the modem when I try to turn on the hotspot... (at the same time it's using wifi to check for updates)

It has Sync 3 (V3.4) & 21194

I should have stuck with my F350 LB/CC Dually with the 460CJ under the hood.