Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune *Repost Please Ignore*

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST RWD
Sorry didn’t realize this was covered in the other thread. I clicked go to new and it took me to something from 2021.
Sorry about the repost.

mods please delete this post

Looks like ford has released a tune for the ST. I emailed them asking about it and they sent me the below link and told me it was just released a couple of weeks ago. However I can’t find it on their website so maybe it’s so new they haven’t updated that yet. Looks like the gains are modest due to it being a 91oct tune… about half the gains of what LMS, 5*, ZFG, and PBD are getting with 93oct. Includes 3/36k powertrain warranty when installed at ford dealer. thoughts?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

Last edited:
OP
RWD22ExplorerST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST RWD
Thread Starter #3
I asked the mods to delete my post. I saw the other post but thought it was old. Still getting the hang of how forums work.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I asked the mods to delete my post. I saw the other post but thought it was old. Still getting the hang of how forums work.
No worries. You'll get used to it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So at the end of the day, do mods like those for performance (ZFG, for example) void Ford warranties?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So at the end of the day, do mods like those for performance (ZFG, for example) void Ford warranties?
You should read the original Ford Performance thread. In the end, there is no absolute answer. If you get a tune and some part completely unrelated to your drive train fails, you're good, they aren't going to care.

Now, if you're tuned and blow your engine or transmission for example, and the warranty rep decides its worth investigating, or the dealership decides there's not enough money in the warranty work to tie up a tech for a week, well...there's a good chance you're going to foot the bill. Especially if you're running after-market or de-catted downpipes. Did you know that's a federal crime? And for those who believe Magnusson-Moss is going to protect them in this sort of case, I hope you have deep pockets so you can sue Ford and put up with a non-running vehicle for months or perhaps years.

I believe it's very simple. If you're going to do things which can cause problems for which you can't pay, don't do it. Buy a Ford Performance tune or leave it stock. On a good note- the programming of the Ford ECU is outstanding and it will do a very good job of protecting the engine even with a tune from a REPUTABLE tuning company.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
You should read the original Ford Performance thread. In the end, there is no absolute answer. If you get a tune and some part completely unrelated to your drive train fails, you're good, they aren't going to care.

Now, if you're tuned and blow your engine or transmission for example, and the warranty rep decides its worth investigating, or the dealership decides there's not enough money in the warranty work to tie up a tech for a week, well...there's a good chance you're going to foot the bill. Especially if you're running after-market or de-catted downpipes. Did you know that's a federal crime? And for those who believe Magnusson-Moss is going to protect them in this sort of case, I hope you have deep pockets so you can sue Ford and put up with a non-running vehicle for months or perhaps years.

I believe it's very simple. If you're going to do things which can cause problems for which you can't pay, don't do it. Buy a Ford Performance tune or leave it stock. On a good note- the programming of the Ford ECU is outstanding and it will do a very good job of protecting the engine even with a tune from a REPUTABLE tuning company.
That's correct, tampering with emission controls is a federal crime, regardless if your county/state performs emission testing. It's just in California and other states with emission testing progams you're more likely to get caught, then you can fix it or pay the fines. In areas with no emission testing it's unlikely it's unlikely that anyone will ever know about your modifications.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
That's correct, tampering with emission controls is a federal crime, regardless if your county/state performs emission testing. It's just in California and other states with emission testing progams you're more likely to get caught, then you can fix it or pay the fines. In areas with no emission testing it's unlikely it's unlikely that anyone will ever know about your modifications.
If I wasn't in California I would have went with the ZFG tune instead of the FRP Tune, also I can only get 91 octane in my area.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Thanks, TMac. As an update, I contacted Ford Performance and they said pretty much the same thing. They offered their performance upgrade but of course, it's not legal in CA :mad:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30