Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Parts for 2020 Explorer ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Nah…I’m sitting here driving fast with a beer and a smoke while I clean my gun on the way to get a double cheeseburger and a lotto ticket in a thunderstorm.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The facts are: We now know there's no difference other than the tuning between the 365 hp models and the 400 hp ST. So, Ford has already produced a "tune" for the ST. Also, on other hi-po Fords, they have said a tune was "in the works" and never delivered. Due to the marketing of the ST as the hi-po version I sincerely doubt Ford is planning on any additional tuning for the ST. I understand that it would be nice to have a Ford sponsored tune that would be warranty supported, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nah…I’m sitting here driving fast with a beer and a smoke while I clean my gun on the way to get a double cheeseburger and a lotto ticket in a thunderstorm.
Public Service Announcement: Never clean your gun while driving fast. You might drop one of those small parts and have to slow down in order to find it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There's several good reasons for not caring about a FP tune for the Explorer ST. The first is FP tunes are crap; ask anyone that had one of these on their Coyote. The remainder of the reasons are the good experiences people have with ZFG, PBD, Livernois, Gearhead, etc, which actually add power and don't ping like Michael Scott stereotyping Asians.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Public Service Announcement: Never clean your gun while driving fast. You might drop one of those small parts and have to slow down in order to find it.
Good looking out!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I believe so, shoot him a message on here or a email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I also want to find out if he does tunes for a 2018 or 2019 Expedition but I’ll ask him.

Reactions
Thanks. I also want to find out if he does tunes for a 2018 or 2019 Expedition but I’ll ask him.

I’m sure he will. He has tuned F150s and such for a few years.

F=MA

Reactions
Seriously who would even want a Ford tune? It appears some of you guys are just as guilty of being Debbie Downers by saying Ford will void your warranty if you don't use their tune.

original.png

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
Any updates or rumblings on Ford Performance stuff for the ST?
Hell you can't even get an ST emblem from Ford within three months let alone something advanced like a performance tune for the ST... just saying. Waaah Waaah :ROFLMAO:

original.png

Reactions
Is the performance pack coming?

Reactions
I saw your official response "STMac", but obviously I didnt use it as a conclusion.

Is this thing official, or did Ford squash it?

Reactions
I saw your official response "STMac", but obviously I didnt use it as a conclusion.

Is this thing official, or did Ford squash it?

As of today:

Good Afternoon-

Thank you for reaching out. We have received similar feedback and because of enthusiasts like you, we have started to work on an engine calibration for the Explorer ST. We hear you!
While our engineers work to unleash additional horsepower and torque, keep in mind that Ford Performance is very thorough in this process, and this takes time. Unlike aftermarket tuners, our engineers unlock as much power as possible without putting the vehicle’s powertrain at risk. Many hours are spent performing durability tests and ensuring the calibration is CARB compliant. With this said, we anticipate releasing a calibration for the Explorer ST next year. Thanks again for your note.

Reactions
As of today:

Good Afternoon-

Thank you for reaching out. We have received similar feedback and because of enthusiasts like you, we have started to work on an engine calibration for the Explorer ST. We hear you!
While our engineers work to unleash additional horsepower and torque, keep in mind that Ford Performance is very thorough in this process, and this takes time. Unlike aftermarket tuners, our engineers unlock as much power as possible without putting the vehicle’s powertrain at risk. Many hours are spent performing durability tests and ensuring the calibration is CARB compliant. With this said, we anticipate releasing a calibration for the Explorer ST next year. Thanks again for your note.
To their point about not putting the powertrain at risk, I asked one of the guys at the ST SUV Experience about a Ford tune and he said he wouldn't be surprised if they did come out with something, since it is a Ford Performance vehicle, but it would not be nearly as aggressive as the 3rd party guys doing tunes. That makes sense since Ford has to warranty the vehicle. That said, not everyone wants to go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds or 1/4 mile in the 10's or 11's so, assuming they do release one, the Ford tune would probably sufficient for a lot of people.

Reactions
Well UNBROKEN, It looks I owe you a concession. With this last message it does appear some serious delays are appearing. Cheers, Ron

Reactions
To their point about not putting the powertrain at risk, I asked one of the guys at the ST SUV Experience about a Ford tune and he said he wouldn't be surprised if they did come out with something, since it is a Ford Performance vehicle, but it would not be nearly as aggressive as the 3rd party guys doing tunes. That makes sense since Ford has to warranty the vehicle. That said, not everyone wants to go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds or 1/4 mile in the 10's or 11's so, assuming they do release one, the Ford tune would probably sufficient for a lot of people.
I'm going to guess that IF they come out with a tune, it will probably be in the 40-50 Crank HP range.

Reactions
I would be very surprised if Ford did release a Performance Tune for the ST. The intercooler is grossly undersized and will severely limit how much Ford can extract from the platform. The heat soak will lead to the ECU pulling timing back. Echo what Blown F-150 said, if they do release one it likely be minimal gains for the ST, but big improvement for the Platinum owners.

Reactions
I'm going to guess that IF they come out with a tune, it will probably be in the 40-50 Crank HP range.
And that's all a lot of us ask for. 50hp at the crank should bring the 0-60 to sub 5 second range and could shave close to .5 sec off a 1/4 mile run. All the while keeping my warranty in place when one of the thousands of sensors/electronic bits goes to hell? Yes please.