Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Explorer ST vs Dodge Durango SRT Drag Race

Reactions
Do you have to use the fuel mixture with a tune?

Reactions
The Durango SRT is so ugly compared to the Explorer ST.

Reactions
Do you have to use the fuel mixture with a tune?
no, a e85 and 93 mix is not required, but obviously that’s how they are getting their best numbers. Same with livernois tune.

JohnD

Reactions
I have no affiliation with 5-Star, but for those that don't know...Mike at 5-Star was one of the brains at SCT before going out on his own. When it comes to Ford tuning...He is the guy. Another Ford tuning specialty shop is MPT Tuning in Longwood Florida. I have had tunes from both of them on my Raptor and loved them both. I'm holding off on tuning for now due to my local dealership here in VA being anti tune friendly. I had a decent dealer in FL that was OK with tunes as long I got them from a specific tuner (see above) that they trusted

Reactions
What octane was used in the stock ST, 93 is a substantial difference over 87 in stock tune.

Reactions
...and, do you have to keep running the tune? Can you go back stock? Can I only tune it on weekends, trips, etc. What does it "really" do to the car? Does the ECM detect and log\record the tune?

Reactions
...and, do you have to keep running the tune? Can you go back stock? Can I only tune it on weekends, trips, etc. What does it "really" do to the car? Does the ECM detect and log\record the tune?
The ECM does not record or show to the dealer the tunes were installed. Flashing between stock or one of the options doesn’t take long at all. The one thing dealer can see, is key turns. Which isn’t something that proves a tune was ever done. 5 Star did my wife’s ST back in March, and it’s a whole new animal.

Attachments

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
The ECM does not record or show to the dealer the tunes were installed. Flashing between stock or one of the options doesn’t take long at all. The one thing dealer can see, is key turns. Which isn’t something that proves a tune was ever done. 5 Star did my wife’s ST back in March, and it’s a whole new animal.
What are key turns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
What was the "FullSizeRender.mov"?

Reactions
I guess I need a primer on "Tuning". Didn't know what one was until reading it here. Please, one of you'all experts point me in the right direction?

PJ

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I guess I need a primer on "Tuning". Didn't know what one was until reading it here. Please, one of you'all experts point me in the right direction?

PJ
This is a good video that summarizes the tune. I am new to this also. Seems pretty straight forward. The only thing holding me back is voiding the warranty which is unclear.

Reactions
This is a good video that summarizes the tune. I am new to this also. Seems pretty straight forward. The only thing holding me back is voiding the warranty which is unclear.

It’s been 8 years since I left Germany but I know the ford garage near K-town was ok with it.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
It’s been 8 years since I left Germany but I know the ford garage near K-town was ok with it.
That’s good to know. I may go ask them. Thank you.

Reactions
I have no affiliation with 5-Star, but for those that don't know...Mike at 5-Star was one of the brains at SCT before going out on his own. When it comes to Ford tuning...He is the guy. Another Ford tuning specialty shop is MPT Tuning in Longwood Florida. I have had tunes from both of them on my Raptor and loved them both. I'm holding off on tuning for now due to my local dealership here in VA being anti tune friendly. I had a decent dealer in FL that was OK with tunes as long I got them from a specific tuner (see above) that they trusted
I just got my tune and I just installed it. Excited to drive it tomorrow. Will let you know what an additional 100 HP does to this beast.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just got my tune and I just installed it. Excited to drive it tomorrow. Will let you know what an additional 100 HP does to this beast.
Which tune did you go with and from who? I’m on the fence. Thanks.

Reactions
I went with 5Star tuning. I got the 87 performance, 93 performance, 94 performance and the E50 performance. What a huge difference on the E50. Chirps the wheels.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I went with 5Star tuning. I got the 87 performance, 93 performance, 94 performance and the E50 performance. What a huge difference on the E50. Chirps the wheels.
So how does the E50 work? How do you get the correct mixture? Have you compared them all? What are the benefits of each? Sorry for all the questions but i am trying to decide on which tune i want to go with. Thanks.