Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford dealer over filled my engine

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Took my 22 Explorer ST into the dealer today at 5k miles for its 2nd and last free oil change. After 3 hours they bring it out and I leave.

On the way home I notice a drop of liquid on the window so I hit the wipers and it smears. Its oil. I stop at a car wash and open the hood to find oil all over the engine. I then notice the fenders appear to have had oil on them also and it was slopply wiped off. I figure they are just idiots and made a mess. I clean it all and chalk it upto idiots at the dealer.

Get home and check oil level after sitting for an hour and it appears to be a QT or so over filled. I really do not want to deal with this dealer again as its 45min away and who says they will do better the 2nd time.

Should I be concerned about this level? The level is marked by my finger. if the low and high dots are 1qt its about that much over.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I’d keep using this dealer. Considering the current cost of oil, he’s extremely generous. :ROFLMAO:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
1/2 a quart over the top mark is where they should all be to stop starvation on hard launches. That’s WAY too full…

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I would be very concerned. Over filled by that much is bad for the engine. I'm not sure what a good recourse is. Maybe a pump like this to remoc=ve the excess. https://www.amazon.com/TOPEMAI-Extractor-Scavenge-Transfer-Motorbike/dp/B07J4S39TM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=313A0WOWHKPBE&keywords=engine+oil+vacuum+pump/&qid=1691717968&sprefix=engine+oil+vacume+pump/,aps,635&sr=8-7
Thanks for the reply, forgot I had one of those pumps stashed away.

Here is the oil I just pumped out, its a half gallon bottle about 1/2 full so 1qt. Stopped there and left the other 1/2qt or so.

The dipstick oil looks clean but this came out really dark.

Reactions
1/2 a quart over the top mark is where they should all be to stop starvation on hard launches. That’s WAY too full…
I've seen you or someone post this before, great info!
However, what if there's hard launches once in a blue moon and mainly just spirited driving or regular driving? Would it be a big issue?

I know there are some cars that have been able to hold close to 1qt more due to the size of the oil pan.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you datalog the car on a hard launch with the recommended amount of oil…you can watch the oil pressure dip into the 20’s. Once is all it takes to eat a bearing.