Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Flashing third brake light

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
[Q

Sorry no video, and no pics from install. For install, remove the interior trim panel along top of rear glass. It is held by plastic retainers. Under it, you will see the wires going to the LED 3rd tail light. Peel back tape and cut the 2 wires, leaving enough on each side to splice onto. Test the side facing vehicle harness for polarity when brake pedal applied (will need a helper). Splice the module in between, it is marked +- and in/out. Secure the device inside of the tail gate and test before replacing the trim panel. Total time was 10 minutes. NOTE: The wiring may be self explanatory as to +-, I just didn't take pics and don't recall. I soldered mine and placed heat shrink so opening back up won't show the wire colors. Also the car wiring is super small, 24awg maybe, make sure you have correct splice or solder so it doesn't pull out later.
Just to add a bit more on your post, I ended up purchasing what Forzda3 had mentioned above. It blinks 16 time strobe like so I will see if it causes seizures I guess….

Yellow wire is hot, purple wire is negative. On the kit, the yellow coming from the car goes to red, and yellow goes to the plug. I tapped into the negative for my ground. I ended up using my phone to record to see the flashes. I used a hammer on the brake pedal to verify current. The kit came with everything you need, just need a wire crimper tool and a plastic pry bar if you don’t want to damage the trim. I have pictures if someone wants them. Hope that helps!