Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Flashing third brake light

Reactions
Anyone come across this type of solution? I like the idea when I hit the brake lights that the third brake light will flash 3 times to give the drivers behind me a heads o. Otherwise I am going to look into a flashing hitch light which I presume is around.

Reactions
Good morning,

I really like this idea too. I was hoping that we would be able to turn it on with FORScan. The third brake light flashing would be much more visible than a trailer hitch plug.

Thanks,

Ron

Reactions
I do it manually, if it could be auto, that'd be great.

I always pump a couple times to flash before braking

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Good morning,

I really like this idea too. I was hoping that we would be able to turn it on with FORScan. The third brake light flashing would be much more visible than a trailer hitch plug.

Thanks,

Ron
What sparked this was a Subaru have a brake light in the bumper that flashed 3 times and was pretty bright. Caught my attention for sure.

Reactions

Hi,

I do too, but only if I think the sudden braking is unexpected and I want to make sure the next driver has seen it.

Cheers,

Ron

Reactions
I believe ours does that. The only reason I know is because when I was towing a trailer and while on the freeway, I could see the reflection of the flash in my mirror.

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I believe ours does that. The only reason I know is because when I was towing a trailer and while on the freeway, I could see the reflection of the flash in my mirror.
Hmmm I just looked at mine in glass and did not see if flash. I’ll do some digging around forscan.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Reactions

I'm not sure this works this way. Pretty sure the brake lights are on a delay, so they don't come off right away when you release the brake. Depending on how fast you're pumping them, they may be on solid the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah, no. The brake lights are not on any delay other than the time it takes the pedal to return far enough to open the switch mounted on the pedal bracket. A delay may be perceived if the pedal must travel a good bit to make the brake switch.

Reactions
I really more or less "flick it" rather than press it with any force.....just "big toe it" a couple times to flash the brakes.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I used this on all of my cars. Very easy install in Explorer.

Amazon Stop Alert XP 60-X Brake Flasher
It works, but is very limited. You can’t change anything as a user. The link posted earlier allows full user control. This amazon link item is fixed so, it is what it is. Here’s a snip from the website. Video? LOL
A418AF91-418E-4D37-8144-DCD431057671.jpeg

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
I used this on all of my cars. Very easy install in Explorer.

Amazon Stop Alert XP 60-X Brake Flasher
from Amazon: “3 fast and 3 slower flashes then a solid break light”.
This confirms what I have been seeing. Looks like just need to cut the power wire it into the module, and then find a proper place to ground. Where did you end up installing yours at?

Reactions
Yeah, no. The brake lights are not on any delay other than the time it takes the pedal to return far enough to open the switch mounted on the pedal bracket. A delay may be perceived if the pedal must travel a good bit to make the brake switch.
Just tried it with the 'sploder, and you're right. No delay. Tried it on my 2017 Transit, and my 2011 Superduty, and they both have a delay when you flick the pedal, so the brake light doesn't flicker and stays on continuously until you stop. Maybe it's a incandescent vs. LED thing?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just tried it with the 'sploder, and you're right. No delay. Tried it on my 2017 Transit, and my 2011 Superduty, and they both have a delay when you flick the pedal, so the brake light doesn't flicker and stays on continuously until you stop. Maybe it's a incandescent vs. LED thing?
Hmmm? Interesting. Can't say for sure on the Transit / Superduty vehicles, but I've never encountered any delay other than pedal return. It could be something related to commercial vehicle operation as both are high-sellers to business users. Maybe I'll get an opportunity to check them out locally. Thanks for the feedback!

Dphan67

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
[Q
from Amazon: “3 fast and 3 slower flashes then a solid break light”.
This confirms what I have been seeing. Looks like just need to cut the power wire it into the module, and then find a proper place to ground. Where did you end up installing yours at?
Sorry no video, and no pics from install. For install, remove the interior trim panel along top of rear glass. It is held by plastic retainers. Under it, you will see the wires going to the LED 3rd tail light. Peel back tape and cut the 2 wires, leaving enough on each side to splice onto. Test the side facing vehicle harness for polarity when brake pedal applied (will need a helper). Splice the module in between, it is marked +- and in/out. Secure the device inside of the tail gate and test before replacing the trim panel. Total time was 10 minutes. NOTE: The wiring may be self explanatory as to +-, I just didn't take pics and don't recall. I soldered mine and placed heat shrink so opening back up won't show the wire colors. Also the car wiring is super small, 24awg maybe, make sure you have correct splice or solder so it doesn't pull out later.

rll2

Reactions
They sure do (Oxmoor Ford Louisville, KY)
Have the same thing on mine
When I asked about it
I was told they put it on all new and certified used vehicles