Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FENFAB Hotside Charge Pipe

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That would be the very opposite of bang-for-the-buck.

Think about this fact for a moment- there are T3 frame turbochargers with compressor outputs that are a single 2.5" outlet which flow 80+ lbs/minute mass airflow. That means somewhere around 800 hp on gasoline. T4 frames will move 120+ lbs/min (1200hp) with a single 3" compressor outlet.

If you like the idea of putting something like this on your car to make it look cool underhood- more power to you. If you think this is a performance benefit under 800hp, it's not.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Nobody has one installed yet. Brett just got the printed jig back yesterday I think so he can start building them. I’ll have one of the first ones sent out but it’ll probably be a few weeks yet.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
That would be the very opposite of bang-for-the-buck.

Think about this fact for a moment- there are T3 frame turbochargers with compressor outputs that are a single 2.5" outlet which flow 80+ lbs/minute mass airflow. That means somewhere around 800 hp on gasoline. T4 frames will move 120+ lbs/min (1200hp) with a single 3" compressor outlet.

If you like the idea of putting something like this on your car to make it look cool underhood- more power to you. If you think this is a performance benefit under 800hp, it's not.
Might be a noob question, but couldn't the stock piping be more restrictive than the flow of the turbo? Because of shape or corrogation(if that is the right word) or other factors?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Each of those single turbos is only putting out ~30 lbs/min of airflow- max. It's very doubtful they are that restrictive. FenFab does make a cold side pipe, and the OEM does neck down. That would likely be a better use of your money although I wouldn't bother with any of it without ugraded turbos. Remember that even if there is a bit of a restriction, all that causes is the turbo to spin a bit faster to supply the demanded "boost". It doesn't necessarily imply that it would significantly affect HP.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Each of those single turbos is only putting out ~30 lbs/min of airflow- max. It's very doubtful they are that restrictive. FenFab does make a cold side pipe, and the OEM does neck down. That would likely be a better use of your money although I wouldn't bother with any of it without ugraded turbos. Remember that even if there is a bit of a restriction, all that causes is the turbo to spin a bit faster to supply the demanded "boost". It doesn't necessarily imply that it would significantly affect HP.
Thanks for the explanation!

Turbo's are on my wishlist but not for this year :)