Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fenfab charge pipe w/ SSQ BOV

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Just Installed.
sounds perfect, just what I was looking for.
Easy install and took about 30 mins
Very neat!

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Been doubting on an aftermarket BOV. Used to have one on my WRX in my younger years and switched it to the HKS SSQV, even had all the inserts haha :)

But for the Explorer im in doubt if it is "fitting" for the car to have the bov sounds/noises.

OP
D
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
If you baby even normal driving you don’t have any noise at all.

Building boost its loud but MPG’s go way down

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For those of you who haven't done the research:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/hks-ssqv-bov-review.4039/post-52298

Read the thread and follow the links to other reasons why a BOV on this engine is pointless. But hey, if you want it to sound like you have a '90s DSM engine under the hood...it's your money.

Reactions
Vehicle

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The old eagle talons and mitsu eclipses. AWD 2.0 liter turbos (at least the top of the line models). Precursor to the Evos in the States. At least in my experience due to the restrictive exhaust (part of the boost control strategy) and their awful BOVs, they were the reason a BOV became a "thing".

Last edited:
Reactions
Been doubting on an aftermarket BOV. Used to have one on my WRX in my younger years and switched it to the HKS SSQV, even had all the inserts haha :)

But for the Explorer im in doubt if it is "fitting" for the car to have the bov sounds/noises.
Agree. This is part of the reason I couldn't go with the Atlas Blue color for my ST. It reminded me too much of my buddies 2002 Subaru WRX that was the bright blue.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My '94 US Impreza. Upgraded with a JDM version VII STI drivetrain. Not quite World Rallye Blue, but close.
1669002891507.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
The old eagle talons and mitsu eclipses. AWD 2.0 liter turbos (at least the top of the line models). Precursor to the Evos in the States. At least in my experience due to the restrictive exhaust (part of the boost control strategy) and their awful BOVs, they were the reason a BOV became a "thing".
Dsm is en engine code then or something? Only saw the eclipse on holiday and in "that" movie haha :p or is it a synonym for JDM?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
DSM is Diamond Star Motors….AKA Mitsubishi and Chrysler working together back then.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My mom had an Eagle Talon. Sweet ride back then.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
B56B5A8B-5B81-4BEC-B415-1C3A255AA34C.jpeg DSM’s are what got me into the car game and started the addiction to boost.

Reactions
View attachment 15234 DSM’s are what got me into the car game and started the addiction to boost.
Same here! I think my username is the same on dsmtuners / dsmtalk. My first car was a 92 GSX that I bought in 2005. I actually wanted to make my Focus ST sound like a DSM, so it has a Greddy Type S BOV. I wouldn't be opposed to having that sound on the Explorer ST... ‍♂️

Reactions
Remember crushing 1g BOVs?

Reactions
Looks like I'm in the camp who just wants to hear the BOV woosh on my 22. It's not very different from those installing exhaust systems for mostly the audible gains.
Are there any threads with sound clips comparing the various BOV brands and how they sound? I've heard some feedback that one sounds more high pitch.

Explorer ST Posts