Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Wheel Size, Bolt Pattern, Offset & Tire Information

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Engineering Explained is one of THE best car channels on YouTube.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
OP can you add wheel and wheel/tire weight to the post?

Reactions
Sorry if I missed it being posted already, but I weighed my OEM 21" wheel/tire combo and it came it at 83lbs.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sorry if I missed it being posted already, but I weighed my OEM 21" wheel/tire combo and it came it at 83lbs.
Thanks for sharing that information! That combo is pretty heavy.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
OE wheels are always porkers. I had a SHO and did TCW wheels and dropped 12lb per side. Yeah 12lb per side.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
OE wheels are always porkers. I had a SHO and did TCW wheels and dropped 12lb per side. Yeah 12lb per side.
I dropped ~15.5lbs per corner with wheels and tires then another ~35lbs total with a brake swap.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I was looking at wheels on some various websites and it appears Mustang wheels are pretty much identical based other than offset on what I researched. This opens up a lot more possibilities for wheel choices. Anyone know anything else that's different?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s well known…but the offsets just aren’t right for our cars.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just wanted to make sure as some of the wheel options on certain vendor sites do show +35 offsets for certain wheels, which would, I think fit our STs. If you try to find ST wheels, most sites don't even have it as an option.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The offset will be driven by the width for what fits correctly. Personally I don’t like +35 even on a 10.5 wide wheel but some people do and it can help clearance with 22’s if you wanted to run a 305/40.

DarthRed

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST, Rapid Red
I need a clear understanding of what thickness wheel spacers and brand, I can use to bring the Street Pack 21" ST Wheels and tires to be even with the fender well edge, for both front and back wheels? Lots of choices out there but what is the correct offset?

wpgbeaST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hi, what is the recommended tire pressure for the stock 21s? Got mine last night and its been sitting at 41 psi from the dealer. Seemed too high.
The reason they were sitting with such high pressure is because from the manufacturer, they overfill the tires in anticipation of the vehicle sitting for potentially long periods of time without being driven.. it will keep the tires in better condition as flat spots won't form

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I was looking at wheels on some various websites and it appears Mustang wheels are pretty much identical based other than offset on what I researched. This opens up a lot more possibilities for wheel choices. Anyone know anything else that's different?
Is the load rating on Mustang wheels the same as it would be for an ST? Generally, heavier SUV’s and trucks need a wheel with a higher load rating to support the additional weight. I haven’t researched this yet so I don’t actually know what load rating is recommended for the ST.

Cacosen

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know this is an old post but running into issues getting the correct rim size confirmed.

I am trying to get Vossen to make me a set of HF5s and gave them the specs for the stock 21in rims, but they're telling me the size is wrong and won't fit. Specifically the offset.

I'm hesitant to tell them to go ahead with the measurements I gave them as it would be a colossal waste of money if it's the wrong specs.

've even gone as far as getting a subscription to Ford Factory service info and they make absolutely no mention of rim specs.

Can anyone absolutely confirm that the 21in rim specs here are 110% correct?

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
View attachment 243
View attachment 244
Explorer ST Wheel Sizes:
Size: 20x8.5" - 44.5mm
Size: 21x9" - 37.5mm

Explorer ST Hub Centric Ring:
70.5mm Hub Centric Diameter

Explorer ST Wheel Offset:
20" - 44.5mm
21" - 37.5mm

Explorer ST Bolt/Lug Pattern:
5x114.3 Wheel Pattern
204Nm Torque
M14x1.5 Thread Size

https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5483093-S550-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

It seems like the bolt pattern and center bore match the S550 Mustang wheels. Only other variables would be offset, diameter, and width.

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Uhhh...removing 40lbs of rotational weight is a pretty big deal on anything. My wheel/tire combo shed 62lbs total...adding in my current brake combo and I’ve shed almost 100lbs of rotational weight.
It's called UNSPRUNG WEIGHT and eliminating it makes a huge difference in handling, as well as acceleration and braking. Each corner will react much quicker and lighter to bumps in the road as well as spinning up to speed and stopping quicker/easier.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It's called UNSPRUNG WEIGHT and eliminating it makes a huge difference in handling, as well as acceleration and braking. Each corner will react much quicker and lighter to bumps in the road as well as spinning up to speed and stopping quicker/easier.
Unsprung and rotational are the same but different. Wheels and tires, brake rotors…things that spin are rotational AND unsprung. Calipers are unsprung. Shocks and struts are 1/2 unsprung…etc.
Losing rotational unsprung weight pays higher dividends than just unsprung weight.