Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Wheel Size, Bolt Pattern, Offset & Tire Information

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
explorerst-20inch.png
explorerst-21inch.png
Explorer ST Wheel Sizes:
Size: 20x8.5" - 44.5mm
Size: 21x9" - 37.5mm

Explorer ST Hub Centric Ring:
70.5mm Hub Centric Diameter

Explorer ST Wheel Offset:
20" - 44.5mm
21" - 37.5mm

Explorer ST Bolt/Lug Pattern:
5x114.3 Wheel Pattern
204Nm Torque
M14x1.5 Thread Size

Gibson

Reactions
Thanks for sizes.
DetroitWheelandTire.com offers OEM 21's" lower than dealer prices
mounting up a set of Pirelli Scorpion winters with the sound abatement foam liner option.
Can't find any other suitable rims on web.

Mark_Lang

Reactions
Hi, what is the recommended tire pressure for the stock 21s? Got mine last night and its been sitting at 41 psi from the dealer. Seemed too high.

elphil

Reactions
Hi, what is the recommended tire pressure for the stock 21s? Got mine last night and its been sitting at 41 psi from the dealer. Seemed too high.
Same here. 41 psi all tires with 21" wheels. Dropped them to 33psi. Should improve the ride a bit.

Reactions
Mine was all over the place when I checked mine. The two fronts were 38/43 and the rear was 36/34

Reactions
Does anyone know the weight of the Standard 20 inch wheels?? Thanks in advanced!

Reactions
Yeah mine arrived at 41 and it rode like a Mack truck. I've lowered to 35 for now although the recommended is 33psi.

Blackssr

Reactions
Yeah mine arrived at 41 and it rode like a Mack truck. I've lowered to 35 for now although the recommended is 33psi.
Same here.... It rode like I had no freaking shocks. I have 22s now and I run 34 cold on all four. The ride is smooth and comfy even though I'm on 22s.

qax

Reactions
Any one has the weight of the 21" OE wheels?

Reactions
It's 4500 lbs removing 40lbs isn't a huge gain.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Uhhh...removing 40lbs of rotational weight is a pretty big deal on anything. My wheel/tire combo shed 62lbs total...adding in my current brake combo and I’ve shed almost 100lbs of rotational weight.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're right, 40 lbs isn't a big deal unless it's reciprocating mass. Put your vehicle on a chassis dyno and see the results. Then put on lightweight wheels, lightweight rotors, etc...put it back on the dyno. You'll see a pretty convincing change in horsepower. Did you change horsepower? No, but F=M*A. F (force) didn't change, but M (mass) did, which means that A (acceleration) increased. On the chassis dyno it will show up as increased hp.

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
You're right, 40 lbs isn't a big deal unless it's reciprocating mass. Put your vehicle on a chassis dyno and see the results. Then put on lightweight wheels, lightweight rotors, etc...put it back on the dyno. You'll see a pretty convincing change in horsepower. Did you change horsepower? No, but F=M*A. F (force) didn't change, but M (mass) did, which means that A (acceleration) increased. On the chassis dyno it will show up as increased hp.
A8874AE7-02DB-47B2-BA29-EAB49FF99663.gif

Reactions
I completely agree that you'll see gains on a dyno. On the road however, you still have to move around 4500lbs and the weight saving is ~0.8% if you saved 40lbs. I have Carbon wheels on my sport bike it made a huge difference but they only have to carry 400lbs around.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I completely agree that you'll see gains on a dyno. On the road however, you still have to move around 4500lbs and the weight saving is ~0.8% if you saved 40lbs. I have Carbon wheels on my sport bike it made a huge difference but they only have to carry 400lbs around.
It makes a difference as you just said yourself...not sure why you think the effect doesn’t apply to a heavier car. Not to mention losing the unsprung weight is another bonus.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Every pound matters (especially rotational and unsprung), and even a little bit here and there can add up. Just because the truck weighs a bunch doesn't mean I shouldn't chase weight out of it. Anyone need the link to the titanium lug nuts I got?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Think of it this way- the rotating components on your vehicle come under formulae that cover angular momentum and moment of inertia. Every pound you can eliminate from rotating components (wheels, tires, flywheel, driveshaft, etc) frees horsepower that can be used to accelerate the vehicle. The math is not trivial but trust me, the elimination of 1 lb of rotational inertia has a greater effect on acceleration than just removing 1 lb removed from your vehicle. And if you don't trust me, you can probably find a few youtube videos that explain the concept.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here's one I found-