Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Exhaust Comparison

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I’m wondering if I did a 3” x pipe or 3” H pipe with a muffler delete, if I’d get the sound volume I’m looking for but cancel out the drone. Not sure how it would play out in actuality

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I want a little extra sound but no drone.

I'm considering replacing the midpipe/resonator with an "H" or "X" and leaving everything else.

Does anyone have experience with a setup like that?

Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
I'm really interested in trying out the Valvetronic universal valved muffler.
https://valvetronic.com/products/universal-valved-exhaust-kit

There is a youtube video of it being installed and got me excited because it can be loud and fun when open or hopefully almost stock volume when closed when hauling the family around.

I need to get over to an exhaust shop and see how much it would be to install this. I do worry there will be drone or it could sound raspy since it is a universal muffler so my thought to attempt to fix that would be to add the Magnaflow Tru-X Resonator. https://g8only.com/product/magnaflow-tru-x-enclosed-x-pipe-muffler/

This would all be trial and error so it may be a while before I would do this since my wife will kill me for spending so much time and money on something with no guarantees.

Reactions
A quality resonator will do wonders to eliminate drone and rasp.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm really interested in trying out the Valvetronic universal valved muffler.
https://valvetronic.com/products/universal-valved-exhaust-kit

There is a youtube video of it being installed and got me excited because it can be loud and fun when open or hopefully almost stock volume when closed when hauling the family around.

I need to get over to an exhaust shop and see how much it would be to install this. I do worry there will be drone or it could sound raspy since it is a universal muffler so my thought to attempt to fix that would be to add the Magnaflow Tru-X Resonator. https://g8only.com/product/magnaflow-tru-x-enclosed-x-pipe-muffler/

This would all be trial and error so it may be a while before I would do this since my wife will kill me for spending so much time and money on something with no guarantees.
If your wanting to do a Valvetronic setup, maybe wait... they MAYBE coming out with a exhaust just for the ST. I know they're building a ST right now as a caution car.

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
A quality resonator will do wonders to eliminate drone and rasp.
Should I look for a resonator designed for an st or any 3” resonator would do? If I wanted to go 3”

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Perhaps some more research is in order before you start tossing terms like resonator around! The reason I say this is it's application specific and has nothing to do with 3" or 4" or 2"...

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Perhaps some more research is in order before you start tossing terms like resonator around! The reason I say this is it's application specific and has nothing to do with 3" or 4" or 2"...
I understand that, to my understanding the resonator is more about tone and pitch where as a muffler is for volume. Also resonators eliminate drone. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
My question was if I’m looking for a resonator, does it have to be one designed “for an ST” or can I just buy one from a reputable shop. If so, how do I know what would be best for an explorer

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions