Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Exhaust Comparison

Reactions
As crappy as the comparison is with different youtube clips, the MRT and Thermal in real IRL, are the worst sounding ones, though I haven't heard the Magna in person but all the other I have. I had planned on grabbing the thermal but blah, I don't like the sound. Though I have no doubt it's a very well made kit, it was one of the nicer ones to install, just the sound.... yuck lol

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have the deep sounding Magnaflow system. Love the tone but the frequency is so low it is vibrating plastic parts in my vehicle at 1500 rpm. Currently removed all the floor panels stuff around the spare tire and placed a bath towel beneath the spare tire. That shut up a rear rattle. Still have a resonance occuring in the console to dash area and good luck getting to whatever is vibrating under there. Probably some duct work door. So thinking about adding the hemholtz resonators since I would like to kill the louder drone at 2000 rpm in higher gears. Haven't found a good spectral analyzer app yet to get the frequency. Listen to the sound I can generate in Park reving to 1500 rpm. It has done this since being installed. No response from Magnaflow but this has to be so common they must just ignore folks regarding it.

Attachments

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
As crappy as the comparison is with different youtube clips, the MRT and Thermal in real IRL, are the worst sounding ones, though I haven't heard the Magna in person but all the other I have. I had planned on grabbing the thermal but blah, I don't like the sound. Though I have no doubt it's a very well made kit, it was one of the nicer ones to install, just the sound.... yuck lol
You can plaster the outside of the exhaust pipe with perogies to change the resonance. Welcome to the Blue Bomber.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
In my opinion, the exhaust mfgs really shouldn't be trying to emulate a low, throaty, deep sounding V-8. embrace the V-6 man... i want THIS (see 0:45 and 1:20... no seriously... the pull at 1:20... holy balls)

also see Jag F-Type S or AMG C43 for examples... sooo much potential out there for nasty sounding turbo v-6s...

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
huh... on my exhaust note adventures, i found this. good listen. he touches upon the ford ecoboost towards the end.

Reactions
huh... on my exhaust note adventures, i found this. good listen. he touches upon the ford ecoboost towards the end.
Fantastic video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Fantastic video.
Been reading Jason's stuff in R&T and C&D for years.... just recently stumbled upon his new short form and produced videos that he is doing for Hagerty... I am binging them and they are ALL amazing.

Reactions
Been reading Jason's stuff in R&T and C&D for years.... just recently stumbled upon his new short form and produced videos that he is doing for Hagerty... I am binging them and they are ALL amazing.
Yeah I’m running out of video content. I subscribed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have the deep sounding Magnaflow system.
I have a custom dual in/out Magna flow system. I’m still trying to understand when the drone triggers. Seems like hanging at 2k RPM and in 5th gear is when it hums. You hearing similar in your kit?

Last edited:
OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
It has the loud 2000 rpm drone as well as the resonance rattle at 1500 rpm. Going to check if something may be vibrating beneath the vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
In my opinion, the exhaust mfgs really shouldn't be trying to emulate a low, throaty, deep sounding V-8. embrace the V-6 man... i want THIS (see 0:45 and 1:20... no seriously... the pull at 1:20... holy balls)

also see Jag F-Type S or AMG C43 for examples... sooo much potential out there for nasty sounding turbo v-6s...
I’m with you. I just straight pipes back from the cats. Love the way it sounds.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #13

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
"You are special. Because only special people upgrade their stock exhaust!"

Reminds me of something P.T Barnum said ...

Hard for me to listen to this guy anymore when I found out we share diametrically opposed world views.

Reactions
"You are special. Because only special people upgrade their stock exhaust!"

Reminds me of something P.T Barnum said ...

Hard for me to listen to this guy anymore when I found out we share diametrically opposed world views.
You don't have to like people. That's it. Oh, and they don't have to like you. Now, that's it.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You don't have to like people. That's it. Oh, and they don't have to like you. Now, that's it.
You don't have to like people who enthrone error. That's it in a nutshell. And, it's about maintaining one's own self respect. Okay, that's all of it in a nutshell.

Reactions
I
You don't have to like people who enthrone error. That's it in a nutshell. And, it's about maintaining one's own self respect. Okay, that's all of it in a nutshell.
I find Jason to be more of a comedian.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I

I find Jason to be more of a comedian.
Here's my paradox ...

He's easily one of the most entertaining and ingenious reporters on things automotive out there, and regarding his world outlook, he stands for everything that I oppose.

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I’m with you. I just straight pipes back from the cats. Love the way it sounds.
Could I hear some sound clips of your straight pipes? Are they 2.5” or a 3” straight? Is the drone that bad? Highly concidering myself.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Which one's have you heard in person again? Which was your favorite. I'm trying to decide between the Borla S-Type or the Thermal 2.5 system.