Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Expended Warranty

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST
Good afternoon Guys,
What is the general consensus on an extended warranty? Should I get one? Do I need one? Your input would help.
Thanks

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I got one at dealer cost. Lots of computers and shits expensive. As somebody that sold service contracts for 15 years I was usually dead set against it. Bought one for my 2018 2500 HD Denali. Had to replace a few items after original warranty. Power remote mirror was over $800 alone. Ended up paying for itself a few times over. Got one for my ST just in case after I read about the problems with early 20 and 21 models. Another year on my original warranty so likely won’t know if it was worth it for a while. I’m even tuned so I thought it was still worth it even knowing powertrain might not get covered.

Having said that, I would not have likely bought it if it were close to list price. Only had to say no thanks twice before they offered $100 over cost. Think it was only around 1100 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Good afternoon Guys,
What is the general consensus on an extended warranty? Should I get one? Do I need one? Your input would help.
Thanks
Absolutely. Not needed but will save you money in the long run. We have had warranties on every vehicle we have owned, and we didn’t use much but enough. Paid for itself. Especially with these new cars and the electronic stuff.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Most of my ford esp is below dealer cost through zeigler ford
My last 2 ..my dealer matched thier quote
No way pay full cost
And no way not have one with today's cars
At least 8yrs. 150k miles

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good afternoon Guys,
Thanks
With but one exception, I never purchase extended warranties on any type of consumer goods---that one exception being on expensive, virtually rolling-computer, $60,000+ vehicles where a single out-of-warranty visit to a dealer can, and likely will, exceed the cost of the extended warranty itself. As such, I purchased my ESP from Granger Ford, who at the time offered the lowest price for my desired plan. Oh, and yeah, it has already paid for itself.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think the decision to go with ESP is highly dependent on the year and whether or not you are tuned. MY2020-2021 are pretty problematic. MY2022 much better. MY2023+ still better. You still have to contend with Chicago plant built quality though. And if you are tuned, is an ESP worth it when in theory, the powertrain coverage may be denied? Also, most problems will rear their heads during the factory warranty period.

I myself passed on the ESP even with a 2020. I even chose to fix things myself than to use the factory warranty. At least at my dealer, warranty fixes are a huge waste of my time: you have to bring the car to the dealer to verify the problem. Then you have to wait for them to procure the parts. In my experience, they may not call you when they do get the parts. Then they recommend you leave your car with them for the day to fix. Lastly, throw in the fact that can can screw something else up while repairing your warranty problem. No thank you! For the vast majority of problems, a DIYer can get the job done easily with minimal down time.

hbalek

Reactions
I purchased a 4 year ESP for about $1500 1.5 years ago. I have yet to use it but still glad I got it. Every repair since then has been under powertrain warranty or recall/TSB so totally free of charge.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for your input. These warranties are negotiable. What is the average price point?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thanks for your input. These warranties are negotiable. What is the average price point?
If they’re negotiable they’re not charging cost + $50 which is the cheapest warranty you can buy. If they’re negotiable chances are they mark up their warranties a lot. Granger Ford offers the cheapest warranty

hbalek

Reactions
If they’re negotiable they’re not charging cost + $50 which is the cheapest warranty you can buy. If they’re negotiable chances are they mark up their warranties a lot. Granger Ford offers the cheapest warranty
I searched several dealers back in November 2022 and the one I got was the cheapest in the country. It was not negotiable but was discounted at the time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
1. The Ford ESPs (Extended Service Plans) are not "warranties," they are service contracts.
2. If a dealer offers "negotiability," you are talking to the wrong dealer and are likely going to overpay for an ESP.
3. There is no such thing as an "average price point" as the cost of a Ford ESP is dependent upon many multiple variables, including vehicle type/model, vehicle age, vehicle purchase date, vehicle mileage, desired plan, desired deductible, desired length of coverage/mileage, and a number of other factors.
4. There were a number of responses to your initial post, including mine, that directed you to good resources for your research.
5. As previously mentioned, if you actually intend to purchase a Ford ESP, Granger Ford is likely your friend.