Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust performance gains

Reactions
I’m thinking of putting an exhaust on my ST. I’m just wondering if put it on a Borla cat back or any other recommended exhaust will give me any power gains or just change the sound of the exhaust. Also, was thinking about possibly doing a downpipe with the 93 octane Tune. Anybody have any experience with either Of these options or know what the power gains would be?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Borla isn’t much better than just doing a muffler swap...the piping is the same 2.25” diameter as stock and it keeps the stock mid pipe. Expect no power gains.
Corsa is incrementally better at 2.5” but still keeps the stock 2.25” mid pipe. Expect better sound than Borla IMHO but still no power.
Magnaflow and Thermal R&D are actually 2.6” from the downpipes back and could actually make a few HP if you have the other pieces of the puzzle in place. Magnaflow is known to drone really bad though.

Reactions
The actual HP gains will be next to nothing on all of them. Until you start maxing out the size of the current exhaust, you are doing it for future upgrades and noise.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Borla isn’t much better than just doing a muffler swap...the piping is the same 2.25” diameter as stock and it keeps the stock mid pipe. Expect no power gains.
Corsa is incrementally better at 2.5” but still keeps the stock 2.25” mid pipe. Expect better sound than Borla IMHO but still no power.
Magnaflow and Thermal R&D are actually 2.6” from the downpipes back and could actually make a few HP if you have the other pieces of the puzzle in place. Magnaflow is known to drone really bad though.
Any knowledge on downpipe gains? I know the labor is extensive but if the gains are decent with the 93 octane tune I’d do it. If the exhaust is just noise I have a SS Sedan with a full exhaust if I want to make noise. Thanks for your input you seem pretty knowledgeable on the ST’s

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I don’t know that anyone has done a before and after Dyno with just DP’s...I missed it if so. I picked up right at 2/10’s with SPD DP’s and full 3” exhaust on 93. 3” is absolutely overkill...but I knew I could get a good deep tone with the larger piping.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I don’t know that anyone has done a before and after Dyno with just DP’s...I missed it if so. I picked up right at 2/10’s with SPD DP’s and full 3” exhaust on 93. 3” is absolutely overkill...but I knew I could get a good deep tone with the larger piping.

Cool. Did you do a custom 3” exhaust? Have yo done any sound clips?

Reactions
how much more work is swapping turbos if you are already going to do down pipes? Is there much overlap in labor?

5LTR550

Reactions
What stand alone muffler would you all recommend ?