Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Engine Knock

haydens44

Reactions
Recently got a 2021 explorer ST in the beginning of April. The build date is 10/2020 and I am hearing a knocking noise only under load coming from the engine. It was in the shop for 2 and a half weeks, and their conclusion was that it was a normal sound. I am not so easily convinced as I know what "normal" valve train noise is... This noise happens whether it is warm or cold. It only happens under load, I cannot hear it when parked.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Welcome to the forum. At least you have it documented in case something does happen.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum

OP
H

haydens44

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
All the other posts I read aren't like the issue I am having from what I read.

rad_rob

Reactions
I was having some very faint knocking sounds coming from mine too, a buddy of mine who has spent a lot of time building these told me its nothing to worry about. I came from a supercharged Mustang that was insanely loud, to a supercharged F150 that was also really loud, so having something this quiet where you can actually hear what the car is doing is a new experience for me. haha. I assume its just business as usual so I'm not too concerned about it, and if anything does happen its got a warranty.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Is the noise rpm-related or toad speed related? It’s pretty tight under the front section so under load the mounts flex such that there may be “something” touching “something”. The dealer goons don’t get paid to chase noises so they will never “find” it.