Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Engine cut out?

Reactions
Not sure if this is the right way to word it but a couple times doing 120km (60ishmph) down the highway when I floor it instead of dropping a gear and revving and taking off it’s almost like the revs cut out and then I feel the truck shudder a little, then slowly pick up revs and speed again. I made it happen on purpose after the first time so it wasn’t a one time thing.
now if I mat it from a slower speed or already in a higher gear no problem. Kicks down, revs up, takes off. Just when cruising along...
Wish I had a video to show but hard to drive and record when that happened!

almost feels like the truck gulped more than it could handle and choked on something.

also only happened in Sport mode so far..

running 93 tune from Livernoise, SPD downpipes, whipple intercooler, Borla ATAK exhaust.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Very first thing I would be doing is talking to Livernois.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Something similar happened to me but without the tune. I was getting on an on-ramp to the highway and was getting on the throttle. I felt some stuttering and then there was a loss of power despite throttle depressed--then it slowly increased rpm and speed. weird. It was a one time event. Has not recurred.

SpeedOften

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Need to data log and try and recreate.. might have been a misfire / detonation the ecu retarded timing to prevent damage to the engine.

How many miles do you have while tuned?

OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Something similar happened to me but without the tune. I was getting on an on-ramp to the highway and was getting on the throttle. I felt some stuttering and then there was a loss of power despite throttle depressed--then it slowly increased rpm and speed. weird. It was a one time event. Has not recurred.
Sounds about right.

Zalmer

Reactions
I'm having the same issue.. I get a shutter when I'm going about 60mph then give it hard pedal. As soon as it gets to about 68mph it gets a hard shudder for a second or two then levels out. I can also feel it at lower speeds in the 30-40mph range when I'm accelerating and decelerating but more subtle and inconsistent.
I have noticed that if I manually downshift the car, it goes away instantly. I'm taking it in to the shop in early September to try and talk to them about it. Hope someone can figure out the issue! I've already had to replace the taillight, mirror and thermostat...