Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

E50 and spark plugs

Mr_JD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hello,
Let me first start with; I have sent questions over to ZFG, but interested in a general consensus with others too. Car just completed final revision on E50 with Adam, I just rolled 36,000 miles. It was completely stock when I got it about 1000 miles ago. After reading plugs should be changed every 20,000 miles, I want to swap them out asap. As I’ve read on this forum, ethanol cars should not go with a cooler plug. So what’s everyone running? Motocraft, NGK 94374, NGK 95927 seem to be listed as OE replacement? All seem to be gapped at 0.031 or 0.032. Anyone running a different gap? The cooler plugs seem to come in at 0.28 gap. Also need an oil change, full synthetic time. Mobil1 was always my go to, any need or benefit for royal purple? Any other general maintenance items I should change already? Fluid swaps? I really appreciate the feedback while waiting on response from ZFG. Thank you.

UPDATE: 95605 gapped at 0.028
IMG_1742.jpeg

Last edited:

KoolAl44

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Wait so are you running colder Plugs on E50???? I heard that before also about running Colder Plugs on ethanol but why do the tuners advise Colder plugs??

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hello,
Let me first start with; I have sent questions over to ZFG, but interested in a general consensus with others too. Car just completed final revision on E50 with Adam, I just rolled 36,000 miles. It was completely stock when I got it about 1000 miles ago. After reading plugs should be changed every 20,000 miles, I want to swap them out asap. As I’ve read on this forum, ethanol cars should not go with a cooler plug. So what’s everyone running? Motocraft, NGK 94374, NGK 95927 seem to be listed as OE replacement? All seem to be gapped at 0.031 or 0.032. Anyone running a different gap? The cooler plugs seem to come in at 0.28 gap. Also need an oil change, full synthetic time. Mobil1 was always my go to, any need or benefit for royal purple? Any other general maintenance items I should change already? Fluid swaps? I really appreciate the feedback while waiting on response from ZFG. Thank you.

UPDATE: 95605 gapped at 0.028
View attachment 19861
I used to use Royal Purple in the Supra. From all my past searches, Royal is slightly better than Mobil 1. The disadvantages are that it's a little more expensive and generally a little harder to find.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Been running. 1 range colder gapped at .028 primarily on E50 for about 75K miles.

OP
Mr_JD

Mr_JD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Wait so are you running colder Plugs on E50???? I heard that before also about running Colder Plugs on ethanol but why do the tuners advise Colder plugs??
Yes, Adam @ ZFG recommended 95605 gapped at 0.028

OP
Mr_JD

Mr_JD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Been running. 1 range colder gapped at .028 primarily on E50 for about 75K miles.[/QUOTE

Your one of the most knowledgeable on this board, I would love to know your thoughts on a single swap.
Ive been trying to research everything. I’ve got a set of exhaust port manifolds “ordered”, but not sure of completion date. I’m thinking the Borg Warner 9174 with internal waste gate to minimize plumbing. What are your thoughts?

B46124F9-02D1-46FE-80D1-4C719E3CE53F.jpeg

Last edited:

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
royal purple no. stick with motorcraft you can never go wrong with factory. make sure you switch back to gas every third fill up i would say to clean out those injectors.