Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driving in snow report

Blackssr

Reactions
I live in beautiful South Florida.... What is snow?

Reactions
Nice! - 24C at my house tonight.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I live in Saskatchewan right now, there's loads of snow and ice here during the winter. The stock Pirelli tires are terrible and I replaced them immediately with a set of PIU steel wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak tires. This truck works great in the snow now! Definitely you have to drive differently in slippery conditions, but i've had no trouble since switching to dedicated winter tires.
I live in Saskatchewan right now, there's loads of snow and ice here during the winter. The stock Pirelli tires are terrible and I replaced them immediately with a set of PIU steel wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak tires. This truck works great in the snow now! Definitely you have to drive differently in slippery conditions, but i've had no trouble since switching to dedicated winter tires.
Thanks for this update! I'm really glad to hear this truck does well in snow. Older Explorers did and I wondered if the new drivechain and weight distribution on this one took away from that.
The Blizzaks are great tires. The Michelin version, Latitude X-ice are very good studless winter tires and available thru Costco. Both tires will wear down faster if you drive on them in >40degs F weather. They're a softer rubber which can flex and grip snow really well, but get chewed up faster on warm weather roads. I would change my out every season and get a lot more life out of them. My wife has a Q7 and we put the Yokohama Geolander tires on it for all season. We've been getting snow here in Western PA this winter and they're performed really well as a general all weather (incl. snow) tire.
drive safely everyone!

ST Owner

Reactions
I understand the Pirellis were completely redisigned for the 2021. The all season tires are now original equipment on the Land Rover Defender. I have them on my 2021 ST and they stick like glue. We just had 8 inches of snow here in Michigan and the tires performed flawlessly. Icy slick road to small drifts on the back country roads didn't have any issues The redisinged Pirellis worked like a charm in slippery mode.

F=MA

Reactions
I have been whipping around Wichita in the snow, ice and record cold (-17 degrees F) this last week with no issues regarding the OEM 21" Pirelli's. Build date 6-20. About to change wheels and tires.

Reactions
I had gotten my 2020 used with 7,000 miles on them. The 21" all-season Pirelli's were about half gone. Went yesterday and got Yokohoma Geolandar all-season. Will feel better in the snow conditions and do not like changing out to winter tires. Will change once to use up the Pirelli's this summer for a few thousand miles.

Reactions
I understand the Pirellis were completely redisigned for the 2021. The all season tires are now original equipment on the Land Rover Defender. I have them on my 2021 ST and they stick like glue. We just had 8 inches of snow here in Michigan and the tires performed flawlessly. Icy slick road to small drifts on the back country roads didn't have any issues The redisinged Pirellis worked like a charm in slippery mode.
So your all season pirellis worked fine then for the snow?

Reactions
Living up here in Manitoba, we get a ton of snow every winter and have it for about half of the year. If you run the stock Pirelli's (on the 21" rim) you're gonna have a bad time. I'd strongly recommend grabbing 20" aftermarket rims and slapping on the Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV tire. Also, I prefer turning traction control off. I'm also super experienced driving in snow so I find I get around better without it turned on. Now, 'driving in snow' is pretty vague, as there is tons of variance in what that means, based on temperature, condition of the snow and whether it is fresh or not, but these tires handle it all well. Worthy purchase for those in snowy climates.

EDIT: To clarify, I own a 2020. I understand the later models may have different Pirelli's equipped so I have no experience with those!

Last edited: