Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver side wind noise

jbcntrller

Reactions
Has anyone had any issues of hearing wind noise while driving, from the driver side door? It sounds as if the window is not aligned possibly or the seals are bad, but Ford had my explorer for 3 weeks and said they replaced all the door seals, but you can still hear the noise around 30+ mph.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a definite whistle that occurs around 65mph. It's definitely in the driver's door mirror because when you close the mirror while maintaining the speed, the whistle goes away!! So far, two different dealers have said they either can't hear anything or it's "normal", which, of course, it's not. Since the online parts catalog has been showing the assembly as being on backorder, I am hoping there's a "redesign" in the works and will address it down the road a bit.

Ken

Hric55

Reactions
I just got my ST last week. Horrible whistling noise coming from passenger side when going 40 mph and above. Dealer said they aligned door and it was fixed. Got it back it’s even worse.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just got my ST last week. Horrible whistling noise coming from passenger side when going 40 mph and above. Dealer said they aligned door and it was fixed. Got it back it’s even worse.
I get the same on my passenger side. not bad with the window up. it goes away when I fold the mirrors in, but that's no way to drive! please let me know if you find a solution here. TIA

Reactions
Same here, appears to be a common thing with these. Going to have the dealer take a look at mine next week as well as a handful of other small issues.

Reactions
I haven’t tried it on these yet but I know my Mustang you could just pop off the mirror cap. I’m wondering if maybe there is wiring in there that isn’t secured which might be causing the problem. Just a theory.

Damon

Reactions
Hello all. I just found this forum today...while I was waiting on my new Explorer ST to be looked at because of this same issue. The 'head mechanic' for the dealership said this is a known issue and the problem is the plastic trim strip running between the roof rails along the side of the roof and extending forward to the top of the front window. See area highlighted in the yellow circle on the attached picture. He said that the front end of the trim nearest the top of the window is not secured down and air gets under this which causes the noise we are hearing. He said they are waiting on Ford to provide the solution to this issue but hopefully will be coming soon. Anyone here hearing anything similar or different?

Attachments

Dallas ST

Reactions
Check molding on inside of car door. They sometime come loose and cause wind noise. Just push back into place. They are held by push brackets. This fixed my wind noise.

Odie130

Reactions
Rear passenger window. Adjusted door once, window twice. Not fixed. New window channel/trim on order. Driver side window stating to whistle.

wvhillbille

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Our 2020 Explore ST has terrible wind noise it starts around 53 MPH I have had it at the dealer once and now on 18 Jan 2021 I am taking it back to the dealer we only have 5k on the Explore the first time the deal wrote could not duplicate yea ok.

Odie130

Reactions
I drove the service manager around and showed him it goes away with a very light down adjustment on window. Finally got it fixed today. All new window trim piece and the small lass portion aft of the window was replaced. Noise is gone.
Now working some electronic/speaker issues.

Reactions
Same issue here - have not taken it in yet but will soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I drove the service manager around and showed him it goes away with a very light down adjustment on window. Finally got it fixed today. All new window trim piece and the small lass portion aft of the window was replaced. Noise is gone.
Now working some electronic/speaker issues.
What speaker issues are you experiencing?

Odie130

Reactions
What speaker issues are you experiencing?

This is an actual loud static coming out of the right door speakers (all 3). This lessens the actual sound so when I am driving, sound seems to come out of driver door only. Test call with wife and verified right door speakers work, it's just extremely low.
And as stated prior, any bluetooth-ed audio and use of blinkers causes extreme static on the right door speakers

Wallabby

Reactions
I have a 2021 and have only had it a week. It sounds like the back window is cracked open. My daughter said she could actually feel air coming through. When she pushed on it (while going 60mph) it stopped. The dealer came and got it right away. Said he couldn’t hear it but they have had a few in with the same problem. It only has 500 miles on it. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Odie130

Reactions
I have a 2021 and have only had it a week. It sounds like the back window is cracked open. My daughter said she could actually feel air coming through. When she pushed on it (while going 60mph) it stopped. The dealer came and got it right away. Said he couldn’t hear it but they have had a few in with the same problem. It only has 500 miles on it. I’ll let you know what I find out.
Same on a 2020. After 5 visits, replaced right rear door exterior window trim....now driver side starting to whistle after hitting 50mph.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello all. I just found this forum today...while I was waiting on my new Explorer ST to be looked at because of this same issue. The 'head mechanic' for the dealership said this is a known issue and the problem is the plastic trim strip running between the roof rails along the side of the roof and extending forward to the top of the front window. See area highlighted in the yellow circle on the attached picture. He said that the front end of the trim nearest the top of the window is not secured down and air gets under this which causes the noise we are hearing. He said they are waiting on Ford to provide the solution to this issue but hopefully will be coming soon. Anyone here hearing anything similar or different?
Isn’t there something that you could purchase to hold it in place? I have the same issue and was wondering if there is something that’s strong enough to hold it in place.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I've noticed occasional screaming coming from the passenger seat area.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I've noticed occasional screaming coming from the passenger seat area.
Lol that’s usually my wife when Im flooring it on the hwy LOL