Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver side wind noise

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Hello all. I just found this forum today...while I was waiting on my new Explorer ST to be looked at because of this same issue. The 'head mechanic' for the dealership said this is a known issue and the problem is the plastic trim strip running between the roof rails along the side of the roof and extending forward to the top of the front window. See area highlighted in the yellow circle on the attached picture. He said that the front end of the trim nearest the top of the window is not secured down and air gets under this which causes the noise we are hearing. He said they are waiting on Ford to provide the solution to this issue but hopefully will be coming soon. Anyone here hearing anything similar or different?
Hi. Did they ever come up with fix ?

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Not that I know of. Should be an easy fix don’t you think?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Yes. It should be an easy fix. I think I have the same issue. I going to look into it.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Yes. It should be an easy fix. I think I have the same issue. I going to look into it.
Let me know what you did if you ended up fixing it. I’m about to get some god damn super glue or something lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Let me know what you did if you ended up fixing it. I’m about to get some god damn super glue or something lol
LOL. Did you get the Wind damper the goes behind the rear differrential?

Blue720

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Picked my 22 ST up yesterday. Highway speeds definitely have the whistle. It almost completely goes away with the mirrors tucked in

Inspekdah

Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST-Line
Hi. Anyone have a fix for this or know what I can tell the service department? I had a 2020 Explorer and this sound was horrible. I'm picking up a new 23 ST-Line and the noise is still present - not as bad though.

Inspekdah

Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST-Line
What did you end up doing @BigAnt75 ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just an FYI. On my Mach-e the wind noise at the driver side mirror was driving the wife crazy. Did some research and experimenting and found the wistle was air getting in the crack at the connection of the mirror housing and the door. Fixed with a bead of black caulking in the crack and no more whistle.

All that to say the mirror set up on my ST is nearly identical to the Mach-e. Might be worth trying some tape on that crack (be sure to seal up both ends) to see if it helps.

Pics attached of Mach-e "repair"

001 Pre.jpg 002 Mid.jpg 003 Post.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
I am having the same issue with my 2021 Ford Explorer XLT. Wind noise above 40 mph on the driver's side caused by the plastic trim strip running between the roof rails along the side of the roof and extending forward to the top of the front window. Dealer gave me an estimate if $2,200 (because they will need to remove the headliner and possibly the windshield). He said it was not covered by warranty because there are two tabs on the trim strip that are broken. But I have never touched the plastic trim strip.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just an FYI. On my Mach-e the wind noise at the driver side mirror was driving the wife crazy. Did some research and experimenting and found the wistle was air getting in the crack at the connection of the mirror housing and the door. Fixed with a bead of black caulking in the crack and no more whistle.

All that to say the mirror set up on my ST is nearly identical to the Mach-e. Might be worth trying some tape on that crack (be sure to seal up both ends) to see if it helps.

Pics attached of Mach-e "repair"

View attachment 19946 View attachment 19947 View attachment 19948
My 2020 whistles so bad, luckily I drive with the windows up. If I fold the mirrors, the whistle goes away. My wife's 2022 does not do it. I'll have to try this one day.

Explorer ST Posts